I have about 30 backups saved over the last 2 years on my desktop. Can I delete without a problem?

Options
New to forum so now sure about how to do this either.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    For a first-timer, you did okay with your post.  The idea is to put a short message in the title to give a hint as to the question and then in the body of the post expand on the issue.
    As far as the backups go, you can delete them, BUT you should keep a few of the newer ones. 
    Each backup is a complete copy of the data file, so it is not like you need to restore certain ones and restore a series of them to do a restore.
    I keep backups on media that is not permanently attached to the computer and make a backup every day that I make changes in Quicken.  When it runs low on  space I get rid of some of the older daily backups keeping the end of month backups.
    [added]
    If you keep the backups on the same drive as the original data file, if it fails, both your data file and all of the backups are unavailable.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• PatAlice
    PatAlice Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you... If you don't mind a couple more questions. To delete, can I just drag to the trash?

Also, what kind of "media" or other option can I take? I have used disc before and may do that again.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @PatAlice ,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

The Ability to delete files from Quicken has been removed. When you created the Manual Backups, did you place a Check to have the Date added to the Filename?

Before deleting the Manual Backups, check your current Data File to make sure that everything is fine.

You have not mentioned if you created a Year-End Copy each year or have everything in one Data File?

Also your haven't mention where the Manual Backups that you are talking about is stored.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PatAlice said:
    Thank you... If you don't mind a couple more questions. To delete, can I just drag to the trash?

Also, what kind of "media" or other option can I take? I have used disc before and may do that again.
    Yes, dragging the data file to the trashcan will work, then empty it to permanently delete the files.
    As far as other media, any of the following will work:
    1. CD/DVD
    2. thumbdrive (use two and rotate between them, don't want everything in one basket)
    3. cloud storage like Dropbox, Carbonite, OneDrive, etc
    4. external USB hardrive

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• PatAlice
    PatAlice Member ✭✭
    Options
    I deleted all but 4 using the "delete" feature. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.