Transactions with no categories

Have a problem (or more likely lack of understanding) with uncategorized expenses. I have my budget set up and working really well. However, I just came across a transaction that did not have a category assigned (see attached uncategorized expense transaction.png). It occurred on 9/1/19. in my budget, I have the obligatory Everything Else category (which I've seen many posts with people complaining about trying to get rid of it...but I totally understand why it's there and see the benefit....which leads to my problem).

When I look at my budget for September, nothing is showing in the Everything Else category (See "Budget For Sept.png" - shows that I do actually have it set for September and "Everything Else.pnG" shows that there is nothing showing up there).

But if I go to Reports->Spending by Category and drill down into Uncategorized transactions, the transaction is shown (see Report Spending by Category.png)

I tested by changing to another personal expense and it DID show up in "Everything else"

So my question/issue/misunderstanding is: Is there a way for transactions without a category assigned to show up in Everything Else? Is that an option to set somewhere?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Got it - I just checked and that option was not turned on. Does the notify work on downloaded transactions? Thank you for your help!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Categories aren't downloaded.  You bank/card/etc has no idea what categories (or category names) you use.
    SO, if you have scheduled transactions, it would appear to work with downloads ... but the category is really coming from your scheduled transaction.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quick Questions
    Quick Questions Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Got it. So, if I want to ensure that all my downloaded transactions are categorized (I have memorized payees that are providing the categories for most), the easiest way (instead of looking at each account) is to just run the Spending by Category report and then manually change them, correct?
    Again, thank you for your help!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    THAT, or manually input your transactions prior to downloading.
    Because of Memorized transactions, there's actually not much typing involved in manual input.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it. So, if I want to ensure that all my downloaded transactions are categorized (I have memorized payees that are providing the categories for most), the easiest way (instead of looking at each account) is to just run the Spending by Category report and then manually change them, correct?
    Perhaps an easier way is to display All Transactions and filter by Uncategorized. Then you can easily enter the categories directly.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Again, thank you for your help!
    I tend to use the Transactions view on the Spending tab.
  • Awesome Tip, Sherlock! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.