How to make QDF-backup file open with Quicken Windows

I do not download transactions so was using Quicken 2016 but had to go to subscription 2019 when got new Win10 desktop at work and Win 10 laptop for home and travel. Use USB drive to backup on one last used and then restore on the other to keep them synced. Works fine but in setting up on laptop, the QDF-backkup files wanted to use Windows Media Player.USB backup has all the files in red and white Quicken files. Put the same drive in the lap top and all Blue and white Word files (deleted Windows media player to see if would work. Have uninstalled and installed several times. Made the QDF-backup file "open with" spot blank in hope would re-populate with Quicken Window but no luck. Tried to talk to quicken support once and chat once, wasted about two hours and go nowhere. When left click on a file have choice of "change app" to open with or right click file and click "open with" both give be two options of keeping the app that is listed or to choose a new one in the Microsoft App Store. All the other files, QDB, QDF, QDT, QFX, QIF, AND QWMOD ("Choose default apps by file type) all open with Quicken Windows. The .QDF-backup file on the desktop also opens with Quciken Windows but can not change the lap top. Any suggestions on what to do?

Best Answer

Answers

• How and where do I do that? Why did it not self-correct when Quicken uninstalled and re-installed?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    " Why did it not self-correct when Quicken uninstalled and re-installed? "
    Because your backups weren't involved in that?
    In any event, it's an easy fix in Windows ... and impossible to fix in Q itself.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search Windows (lower left corner) for "file association", it will lead you to the correct place.
    Why didn't a Quicken re-install fix that?  I don't know, I would have thought it would.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not just copy the QDF file back and forth - if you are careful -
    BTW - I believe the "QDF-backup" file is the same as a normal QDF file,
    and could just be opened or renamed...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Really sorry. Been trying for a while. Cannot find a direct link to File Association. When I hit Settings, then Default Apps, then at bottom of screen, click Choose Default Apps by File Type, and I go down to the .QDF-backup, and right click on the app column, I get two options: Choice 1 is wrong, e.g. Word or OneNote, and Look for an app in the Microsoft Store. There are no Quicken apps in the MS store that I can find. I know Quicken, but not Win 10.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tried this also in Win10 (for the first time ever) and Win10 has screwed up the process believing evidently a program is not a program unless they list it in their store.
    You could try doing a re-install again, but be sure to follow the QCleanUI procedure for the un-install: QCleanUI - Clean Uninstall
    The only other thing I can suggest is to contact Microsoft Helpdesk.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    try this tutorial -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Thanks for all the help. Finally figured it out. Had to go to the thumb drive, click on a backup file , Open With, scroll down to More Apps, scroll down to Look for another app on this PC, open up C drive, go to Program Files (X86), to Quicken, to QW and click to make it the opening app. Tried this many times but finally the Look for another app on this PC came up.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help. Finally figured it out. Had to go to the thumb drive, click on a backup file , Open With, scroll down to More Apps, scroll down to Look for another app on this PC, open up C drive, go to Program Files (X86), to Quicken, to QW and click to make it the opening app. Tried this many times but finally the Look for another app on this PC came up.
    Great round-about method of solving this.  It is sad that Microsoft has made it so tough.  In Win7 and before, they just allowed you to go to file manager directly to find the program.  Their new insistence that things be in the MS Store is not realistic or practical.
    Thanks for reporting back with your solution, I learned something new today.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi @steveofovs ,

I, for one, don't understand the need to have to use Quicken to open a Quicken Backup File.

Why not simply Open Quicken first, then click Backup and Restore to Restore from Backup File, where you don't need to overwrite your current Data File, but you can restore it to a New Name, thus avoiding overwriting your current Quicken Data File. Of course, you need to Browse to the file you want to restore.

When you use Windows to uninstall Quicken, it leaves a lot of information in, so when you reinstall Quicken , nothing gets fixed. To fix a poor installation, use this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

One additional note: Quicken 2016, does run in Windows 10.

The procedure to install Quicken 2016 is the following:

This is for all versions of Quicken 2016 for Windows not just Deluxe.

Open Quicken. Go to File > Backup and Restore > Backup your Quicken Data File(s) before starting.

Firefox 32-Bit from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Waterfox 64-Bit from here: https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Create a New Folder on the Desktop. Rename the Folder, New Briefcase, which can be done in Windows 10, too. Always rename a New Folder, because when you create New Folders within any folder and don't rename Folders, Windows names the folders, New Folder, New Folder (2) and so on. You won't be able to find anything without renaming New Folders.

Once you have done that, start Firefox or Waterfox and go into Tools then click Options. On the General Tab, find  Downloads, then Under Downloads see Save files to:. Click on the Browse Button. Click Desktop then click on New Briefcase. Saves you the trouble of having to tell where to Save the Downloads to and makes the downloads, easier to find, right on the Desktop..

I am assuming that you already have the Installation Program for Quicken 2016 Flavors.

Close Quicken. Do not uninstall it.

Re-open Firefox or Waterfox and click on the link below for downloading QCleanUI.exe

Download QcleanUI.exe from this link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000

Left-click on QCleanUI.exe to start the Download and click Save. Left-click on MSIClean.exe to start the Download and click Save.
    Create a new sub-folder of Briefcase Folder and name it QClean. Move both QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean.exe into QClean. Now simply open QClean. Right-click on QCleanUI.exe  and left-click Run as administrator. Choose to Clean All Versions. Do not use Programs and Features to uninstall your Quicken Program.

Use Programs and Features to remove iSeek AnswerWorks English Runtime, which Quicken installs.

Restart the computer. After the computer restarts, use Explorer to delete / no need to rename the following folders: (Except if you also have other Intuit Products installed, expand those folders and delete the Quicken folders, only.)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AnswerWorks 5.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken

C:\ProgramData\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit_Inc

Empty the following folders, with the exception of Files in use:

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Windows\Temp

Run Disk Cleanup.

Don't download the Installer again if you already have it.

Download CCleaner Free from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Once you have CCleaner Free installed, run the Cleaner portion first.
    Analyze first and Run Cleaner.
    Click Registry on the Left.
    Scan for Issues.
    Fix selected Issues. Then Run it again because on x64 Bit Installations, it doesn't fix all on the first pass.

Right-click on the Quicken Program Installer and click Run as administrator.

Once the program is installed a Window will Popup concerning Program Updates click Cancel.

Restart the computer.

Open your browser.

Go to: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Scroll down to Quicken 2016 and download the following Mondo Patches:
    R8 Mondo, R12 Mondo and finally R16.1 Mondo.

Once downloaded, install Mondo Patch R8, R12 and finally in order R16.1

Once Mondo Patch R16.1 is installed, you can then open Quicken, but do not launch Quicken until Mondo Patch R 16.1.

Until April 30, 2019, you can finish upgrading using the Check for Updates under Help, once you have Quicken registered.

See this Article for the reason you need to apply the Mondo Patches in Steps: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-for-windows-2016-wont-open-af...

Now click on Quicken to Open Quicken. It will not find any Quicken Data Files, because it doesn't know where to look. Choose to Restore a Backup Quicken Data File. Let Quicken Convert it, before using One Step Update.

When you go to Register the program again, be sure to click Already have an Quicken ID.

You need to complete the Survey portion of the Registration, in order for Next to become clickable.

Before using One Step Update, check your Converted Quicken Data File.

Note 1: You do not need the previous version of Quicken installed to reinstall and convert any Quicken Data Folder. When you restore an older Backup, Quicken will convert the Data File after restoring it, as long as it isn't too old.

Note 2: Each Quicken Data File gets registered, including existing Quicken Data Files.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thecreator
    Whether a user goes thru the menus in Quicken or double clicks an .QDF-backup file, Quicken goes thru the same process of restoring the file, it does not just open the file.
    My response to "I, for one, don't understand the need to have to use Quicken to open a Quicken Backup File." is that clicking on a .QDF-backup file should start Quicken, in the OP's case, it was not doing that and they wanted it to.
    Enough said, the setup was incorrect and needed fixing, the problem was identified and the "easy" fix did not work, but the OP found a work-around for Windows' messed up/misguided process.
    My kudos to OP for pursuing the issue.

This discussion has been closed.