Conflict between what Quicken says it's showing you vs. what's actually shown

Options
Tom Young
Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
When clicking on the "Property & Debt" tab and then selecting the "Debt" heading, one of the information displays shown there is titled "Selected Liability and Credit Card Accounts (Debt): Current Value.  But the information shown here - specifically the "Balance" number - is not the current value, it's the "Ending Balance" in the register.  Since I enter the required future-dated payment for each credit card Account as soon as I receive the statement the "Balances" show here are all understated.
I can see no way, on that page, to correct this.  Is there one?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Tom Young said:
    But the information shown here - specifically the "Balance" number - is not the current value, it's the "Ending Balance" in the register.  Since I enter the required future-dated payment for each credit card Account as soon as I receive the statement the "Balances" show here are all understated.
    Can't say I agree. As displayed this is the current balance and has always stated accurately for me. 
    "Since I enter the required future-dated payment for each credit card Account as soon as I receive the statement". What "required payment"? Why are you entering the payment which is a future date and expecting the current balance to reflect this? A payment reminder would resolve your issue. 

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just worked through every credit card and in all cases the table was picking up the Ending Balance.  In one case that was also the Current Balance only because I haven't received "this month's" statement on that particular credit card.

As soon as I receive a credit card statement I enter the future-dated payment into Quicken and schedule the actual payment with Schwab's bill pay service, and that's clearly what this table is using.  So Quicken's description of "Current Value" is simply wrong.  I think the table should use Current Value as that's giving you a real time report as to how close you are to hitting the cards' credit limits.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    This sounds like a variation of the design flaw where the "credit remaining" in a credit card account is based upon the ending balance rather than the current balance.
    I don't call it a bug because Q appears to be working as intended ... it's just that the intent (design) is WRONG.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see what @Tom Young sees. It's always Ending Balance and that's what it should display as the label. The word "value" is itself inappropriate.
    I thought maybe toggling the displayed balance in the Account Bar might affect the Debt view, but it doesn't.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.