Tax Summary reports coming up with all categories expanded, instead of how they were saved.

kayak
kayak Member ✭✭✭
Lately my 2018 tax summary report comes up with all categories expanded. Never did that before; it would come up with just the categories I want expanded and all the rest would be as I left them, and saved them, last. Any idea why?
Doesn't do this in tax schedule reports, just the Tax Summaries, both 2018 and 2019. I've got 10 of each in separate folders, dating back to 2008. I tried deleting them and recreating them both, and it worked once, but the second time I opened it up, all the categories were expanded out. Tried backing up, shutting down Quicken and rebooted computer, but still doing it.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running a previously Memorized/saved report?  Of the "canned" report from the "Reports, Tax" menu?
    Also, what Q product are you running?  What BUILD of Q?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• kayak
    kayak Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes, previously saved. No longer 'canned' as I save each one to a file name appropriate to the year it includes. Have a library of 10 in a folder and the two new ones, 2018 and 19. This has always worked like a champ, for years. The new one I created, was created fresh, from the 'canned' option on the left, Reports, Tax. It worked through one save and re-open, but then came up expanded on the second try.
    Windows Premier, current subscription update, version R22.12, build 27.1.22.12.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@kayak
    I see what you describe, starting with the canned Tax Summary report. The report defaults to expanding all the categories. Collapsing a category then saving the report causes the category to be re-expanded when I re-open the report.

I don't know how this report behaved in the past, but this does seem to be a problem.

However if I click on Collapse All then expand just the categories I want then save the report, it seems to honor my selections.

Does that fix the problem for you?

QWin Premier subscription
  • kayak
    kayak Member ✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman Thanks for the suggestion. That exact procedure has been my work-around, but it is annoying. For 12 years it has been saving the reports exactly as I want them; perfect on the re-open. Now, suddenly, this afternoon, something changed....
  • kayak
    kayak Member ✭✭✭
    I tried deleting my old 2018 and 19 reports, and re-created from Reports, Tax drop-down in Reports Center. Exact same result. Was working this morning, now suddenly different. Did a reboot, etc. No difference.
    Annoying.
    Maybe I can delete a few of the real old ones, but accounts included in the reports have changed so many times over the years....
  • kayak
    kayak Member ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to elevate this issue to "Known Issues" or some other thread whereby it can be explored by Quicken personnel or do all inquiries end up there eventually?
  • Jim_Harman
    What I am seeing is that if I click on Collapse All then select the desired categories then save the report, Quicken remembers the selected categories when I re-open the report. At worst you would have to re-create each of your saved Tax Summary reports once. Are you seeing something different? 

It is unfortunate but not unsusual that a new version of Quicken affects saved reports in a way that requires them to be re-created. 
  • kayak
    kayak Member ✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman Even when re-created from scratch, the annoying re-open shows them with all categories expanded.
    Don't recall Quicken asking to do an upgrade yesterday. As mentioned, it worked ok all morning then didn't and nothing I do corrects the problem....
  • Jim_Harman
    To confirm, when you re-created the reports, did you start the Category selection by clicking on Collapse All then expanding the categories you want to see, then saving the report?

I know this seems like an unncecessary step, but it appears that the default Expand All setting is over-riding the custom category selections and when I use this procedure it appears to remember the category selections.
  • kayak
    kayak Member ✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman Yes, report always comes up fully expanded. I click on Collapse All and reorganize from there. Save it, move it to different folder, etc. and it still comes up fully expanded.
    So, 2018 continues to show the annoyance. I've tried everything; saving it to a different reports folder, recreating from scratch, minimizing before closing, maximizing before closing, deleting it, backup Q and reboot computer, etc., etc., etc. and nothing fixed it. I'm over it as taxes are done, etc.
    My newly created 2019 Tax Summary Report, created from the left column of Report Center, is acting as it should; saves the way I want it - certain things expanded while others are left as line items. I have no theory or idea why 2018 report started acting that way, but have tried everything to no avail.
    Thanks for expending grey matter on my problem!
  • kayak
    kayak Member ✭✭✭
    still doing this, just for 2018 Tax Summary Report, as of 2/25/2020
This discussion has been closed.