Account Cash Balance does not match register ending Balance

Some how the account ending cash balance is different than the Account balance at the bottom of the account. If add a cash adjustment transaction or update the cash balance it affects both balances by the amount of the adjustment.

I must have done something to cause the problem, I'm just not sure what I should be looking for to search. Unfortunately, there are years of transactions to search through.

Thoughts?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeff Thompson
    Jeff Thompson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks everyone, I found it. I guess it helped detailing out the issue. Doing a search, I found a $800 sold transaction that showed -800 in the inv amt and 0 in the cash amount. When I edited the transaction, it looks fine but doesn't change when entered. Entering a new transaction, you get the -800 in the inv amt column, and +800 in the cash amt column. Deleting the old transaction corrects everything.

I'm not sure how it happened but it's fixed now and every thing is in sync.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cash balance in an investing account is the amount of cash not invested in any security, not the total value of the account. At the bottom of the transaction list (register),
    (Securities value) + (Cash balance) should = (Total Market value)
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Is this a -  Investing - account ?
    What version of Quicken ....  Help --> About Quicken
    As mentioned, if this is an Investing Account,
    then usually any "cash" is invested into whatever securities are in the account...
    So there is only cash during some time period of cash deposits and then Buys of some security in the account... which then draws down the cash - urually to zero -
    So - does your screen look similar to this one ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jeff Thompson
    Jeff Thompson Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Quicken 2019 R16.22 27.1.16.22 Canadian

The register shows $836.32 ending balance and the Cash Balance $1636.32 a $800 difference. Which on the surface seems very specific. lol

I usually have some left over cash dollars that haven't been invested to be used for brokerage fees etc. I would expect my register to show the same amount in the cash balance. It's as if the register sees a transaction(s) which deducted from the register balance but didn't deduct from the bottom Cash Balance.
  • Jeff Thompson
    Jeff Thompson Member ✭✭
    And yes it's an investing account.
  • Jeff Thompson
    Jeff Thompson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks everyone, I found it. I guess it helped detailing out the issue. Doing a search, I found a $800 sold transaction that showed -800 in the inv amt and 0 in the cash amount. When I edited the transaction, it looks fine but doesn't change when entered. Entering a new transaction, you get the -800 in the inv amt column, and +800 in the cash amt column. Deleting the old transaction corrects everything.

I'm not sure how it happened but it's fixed now and every thing is in sync.
This discussion has been closed.