Investment Performance Report

One of my securities comes back with a very large negative ending market value which causes this report to be useless. I have checked the secity transactions and the prices and all seem to be ok. Any ideas as to where else I should look to correct this problem? Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, make sure there are no Placeholders in your accouint for this security. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is checked to make sure the Placeholders are visible. They will have a gray background and and Action type of Entry.

If your other transactions are correct, you should be able to delete the Placeholders. Back up your data file first in case something goes wrong.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • gaperri
    gaperri Member ✭✭
    Thank you Jim. Show hidden transactions is checked and there are no placeholder transactions. I've also reconciled that account and reconciled the shares.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How large is a large negative ending balance?

If you change the ending date for the report, does the report come out ok for one date and then go bonkers on the next day?  If so, you might delete and re-enter transactions on that date. 

Another option to pursue is to validate a copy of the file.  I would choose the option to rebuild investment lots and not choose to delete price history information.   
  • gaperri
    gaperri Member ✭✭
    The negative is in excess of $92 million. Changing the date yields the same result. Validating and rebuilding yields the same results.
  • gaperri
    gaperri Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you for your help. I will give it a [shot] and let you know the results.
  • gaperri
    gaperri Member ✭✭
    I went through the transactions report again and came across one transaction that shows the -92 quadrillion. and then I remembered that I had a problem posting this transaction. It was 7 shares of an ETF for $150 and a total cost of $1,050 but the error message reads "The resulting entry is too big. Please enter it as one or more transactions." I had to break it up into 3 transactions of 5,1 and 1. that is the only time I had a problem posting a transaction for that ETF. I had transactions before and after that did not have a problem. When I delete those transactions, the -92 quadrillion problem goes away. when I try to reenter the 7 share transaction I get the too big error message.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    gaperri said:
    I went through the transactions report again and came across one transaction that shows the -92 quadrillion. and then I remembered that I had a problem posting this transaction. It was 7 shares of an ETF for $150 and a total cost of $1,050 but the error message reads "The resulting entry is too big. Please enter it as one or more transactions." I had to break it up into 3 transactions of 5,1 and 1. that is the only time I had a problem posting a transaction for that ETF. I had transactions before and after that did not have a problem. When I delete those transactions, the -92 quadrillion problem goes away. when I try to reenter the 7 share transaction I get the too big error message.
    That suggests to me that the solution Steve Parker cited in the discussion link I used may work for you.  That method was basically to create a new security for the one that is acting strangely and redo the existing transactions to reflect the new version of the same security.  

Somewhere, somehow, something has gotten dinged on your original version of that security.  
  • gaperri
    gaperri Member ✭✭
    I deleted the 3 transaction and entered it as 1 transaction for the current date. The transaction accepted and the report ran properly. I edited the transaction and used a date of 8/6 instead of 8/2. The transaction accepted and the report ran properly. Looks like all is well and I am no longer a negative 92 quadrillionaire. Thank you for all of your help in getting this resolved.
This discussion has been closed.