Catagory Summary Report

With the latest release of 5.13.x Quicken now provides ability to cusomize catagory summary reports to include transfers. This feature is a great addtiion and improvement that nearly matches that of Qiucken 2007. However, I noticed a peculiarity with the contents of the report. The other reports that aggregate the expenditures by the categories selected within a given period of performance, report all transcations regardless of whether or not a payee is hidden in the "Payees & Rules" GUI. In the latest version of the report generator (the one with the "Advanced" menu tab) if a payee is hidden, it will not report the catagory expense even if selected under the "Catagories" menu within the report generator. This for me makes the report useless as I often hide either seldomly used or once used payees. I repeorted the issue to the tech support person but he seemed to think this was a good feature and did not think if is an issue. As I told him, the one area where "new' Quicken sorely lags Mac Quicken 2007 is in reporting. I still maintain use of the older version due to the reporting deficiency with the latest version of Quicken for Mac. I wish improving the reporting was made a priority by Quicken leadership and addressed soon, as Quicken 2007 is not functional under Mac OS Catalina.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I was first going to say this is probably working as intended -- hidden Payees are hidden from everything except the transactions they exist on. But reading Quicken Help, it says:
    Hidden payees are not deleted or removed from transactions. They are just not displayed in the Payee window and do not appear as auto-complete suggestions when entering a payee name in your account register.
    So based on that description, it seems hiding a Payee should only affect entry of transactions, and not reporting of existing transactions. So if the Help description is correct, then this appears to be a bug.

The best way to report it is to use Help > Report a Problem and describe that Hidden Payees are being excluded from new Summary reports. You won't get a response to a message there, but it has the best chance of being seen by developers.

You could also post your message in the thread about the release of Quicken 5.13.x by clicking here. The Mac product manager sometimes checks that thread and responds to problems users report,.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Customize dialog, under the Payees tab - there is a check box for "Include hidden payees".
    The default setting is unchecked - i.e., hidden payees are excluded.

Does this setting resolve your issue?
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @J_Mike Ah, I forgot that was there! (It seems it should default to being checked, not unchecked, but that's a minor quibble.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs  wrote:
    ....seems it should default to being checked, not unchecked,....
    Totally agree - as is, it's a trap that I have fallen into several times.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Thank you, your suggestion resolves the issue. I did not think of loolng in this menu for the chceck box.
This discussion has been closed.