Does Quicken subscription allow multiple devices? i.e desktop and laptop accessing same Quicken file

:) I use desktop imac at home and want to access the same Quicken files using macBook when out of town. Does Quicken allow this?

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    IF Q is supported on your MacBook, SURE.  Just take a backup on your iMac before you leave home and Restore to your MacBook for on the road.  Then reverse the process when you get home.
    Just be aware that a Restore completely overwrites the data file on the machine being restored TO.  So any changes made on that "restored to" machine will be lost.
    BUT, I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't respond to my own original "IF".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Agree with NotACPA.  Just make sure that you backup from your iMac FIRST...just in case things get mucked up.  Then copy the data file from the iMac to the MacBook.

And reverse the process from MacBook to iMac.  
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Actually with the subscription plan you can install Quicken on unlimited computers.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-install-quicken-multiple-computers

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    IF Q is supported on your MacBook, SURE.  Just take a backup on your iMac before you leave home and Restore to your MacBook for on the road.  Then reverse the process when you get home.
    Just be aware that a Restore completely overwrites the data file on the machine being restored TO.  So any changes made on that "restored to" machine will be lost.
    BUT, I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't respond to my own original "IF".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Agree with NotACPA.  Just make sure that you backup from your iMac FIRST...just in case things get mucked up.  Then copy the data file from the iMac to the MacBook.

And reverse the process from MacBook to iMac.  
  • ofrecios
    ofrecios Member
    Thanks guys. Just learned that I can install Quicken up to 3 computers, and as you suggested I just need to copy the Quicken file to the computer I will use. Although it's possible to access a file in the cloud (or on a network), it is not advised.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Actually with the subscription plan you can install Quicken on unlimited computers.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-install-quicken-multiple-computers

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    ofrecios said:
    Thanks guys. Just learned that I can install Quicken up to 3 computers, and as you suggested I just need to copy the Quicken file to the computer I will use. Although it's possible to access a file in the cloud (or on a network), it is not advised.
    It's not only not advised, it's not supported. Some people do it and are happy that it works for them fine -- until suddenly something doesn't, and they have a huge headache. I strongly encourage you not to use cloud storage for your live Quicken data file!

However, you can use a cloud service for moving a backup from one machine to another. (A backup file, or a .zip file created with File > Compress in the Finder, is safe to move from one machine to another via flash drive or cloud storage.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.