is there a way to select the accounts you want the Tax Planner feature to include?

If you can't select the accounts to include (like you can with reports), the planner is useless if you have accounts on Quicken that you do not want to include in the tax planner. For instance, your child's account should not be included in your taxes as they file separately.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We may not exclude accounts in the Tax Planner.  As the Tax Planner is relying on the tax line items associated with transactions, you may want to consider resetting the association for the transactions in the accounts you want to exclude. 
  • chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Have you considered having your Child's account placed into a "Separate Account" in Quicken?  Edit the account > Display Options > check "Keep this account separate - account will be excluded from Quicken reports and features".

This will eliminate that "Separate account" from appearing in the Tax Planner...but you can still use it to make deposits and payments to and from that account.  

This also removes the account from your total Net Worth calculation.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirk0 said:
    For instance, your child's account should not be included in your taxes as they file separately.
    In which case your child's accounts should be in their own Q data file.
    A Q data file should contain all of the info for a single tax entity ... and ONLY the info for that tax entity.
    Since you child files taxes separately, the Q data should be separate as well.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• chitownhockey
    NotACPA said:
    Mirk0 said:
    For instance, your child's account should not be included in your taxes as they file separately.
    In which case your child's accounts should be in their own Q data file.
    A Q data file should contain all of the info for a single tax entity ... and ONLY the info for that tax entity.
    Since you child files taxes separately, the Q data should be separate as well.

I don't think the op is concerned about doing ANY tax planning for the child's account ...meaning even if it's in another data file, he's not going to be using the Tax Planner module for that one account.  Doing tax planning for that one account isn't my interpretation of the op's statement.  

I don't see how that starting a new data file helps anything in this case.  I track my adult daughter's 401K...because she wants me to... in my own Quicken data file.  Just the deposits downloaded and occasional price updates...no purchases or any association with her paycheck.  

Designating that account as a Separate Account works just fine.  As I noted, it isn't included in my net worth, any of my reports or the Tax Planner.  It's just out there on an island by itself.  

So what's the big deal if he wants to have his kid's account in a Separate Account designation?

I see that you over and over and over again go by the mantra that users SHOULD create another data file.  Well, if he's making deposits or withdrawals from that account, that doesn't work efficiently one bit.  

Sometimes you might want to just think outside of the box...because there's not always one way to a solution.  
  • Mirk0
    Mirk0 Member ✭✭
    thanks for the suggestions, but resetting the association for the tx's doesn't work because the accounts I want to exclude already had no association re: taxes and they were included in the tax planner. Also, making the accounts I want to exclude "separate accounts" may work, but the account no longer shows up in my account list so that is quite inconvenient. Finally, creating a separate data file also seems quite inconvenient.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mirk0 said:
    thanks for the suggestions, but resetting the association for the tx's doesn't work because the accounts I want to exclude already had no association re: taxes and they were included in the tax planner. Also, making the accounts I want to exclude "separate accounts" may work, but the account no longer shows up in my account list so that is quite inconvenient. Finally, creating a separate data file also seems quite inconvenient.
    In my opinion, all three of the suggestions you have received do work around the issue.

I suspect you may not have understood my suggestion.  One way to break the association is to set the account you wish to exclude from the Tax Planner to be tax deferred (open the account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, choose Yes for Tax deferred, and select OK).  For non-investment accounts, another approach is to clear the tax line item assignments of the transactions you want to exclude from the Tax Planner (right-click on a transaction and select tax-line item assignments, select the blank entry in Tax item: pull-down menu and OK) or, if appropropriate, replace their categories with alternates you create that do not have the tax-line item association.
  • chitownhockey
    Mirk0 said:
    Separate accounts DO appear in the sidebar account list.  

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the sidebar and then click on the triangle next to the Separate Accounts heading.  Your account will be there.  

It also shows up in the Account List in the proper grouping.  In my case it's listed in the Personal Retirement group.  

And, I'm able to download transactions into that account, even in the Separate Accounts area.  
This discussion has been closed.