Investment actions

Downloaded transactions show dividends reinvested as Actions, not Descriptions (investment term for Categories). Is there a way for me to include Actions in my cash flow reports? I can do a separate report for these activities but would also like to consolidate them with other income and expenses.

Best Answers

• swalk729
    swalk729 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Bob_L said:
    > The actions Div, Reinv, etc. include booking to the _DivInc category.  They may appear to be missing from the Transaction List, but if you click on one of the transactions, the category should then show up(and they will be available for reports)

Hasn't been my experience. When I click on the transaction, it shows the Reinv Action but the Description (assigned as Category) shows other data that doesn't make it possible to use it in reports (shares purchased, share price, mainly). I can get this information through another report designed for Investment reporting and will most likely have to stick with these separate streams to get the answers I want.

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The actions Div, Reinv, etc. include booking to the _DivInc category.  They may appear to be missing from the Transaction List, but if you click on one of the transactions, the category should then show up(and they will be available for reports)

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• swalk729
    swalk729 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Bob_L said:
    > The actions Div, Reinv, etc. include booking to the _DivInc category.  They may appear to be missing from the Transaction List, but if you click on one of the transactions, the category should then show up(and they will be available for reports)

Hasn't been my experience. When I click on the transaction, it shows the Reinv Action but the Description (assigned as Category) shows other data that doesn't make it possible to use it in reports (shares purchased, share price, mainly). I can get this information through another report designed for Investment reporting and will most likely have to stick with these separate streams to get the answers I want.
  • swalk729
    swalk729 Member ✭✭
    > @Tom Young said:
    > The Cash Flow report, by default, is limited to "Banking" Accounts.  You can add other Accounts to the report, like Investment Accounts, but adding them there doesn't add customization options like you'd see in dedicated "Investment" reports, like Securities or Actions.  So there's no way to somehow filter out the ReinvDiv, ReinvLG, etc. transactions in that particular report.

That's was my experience. Guess I will have to rely on separate reports and add the results together to get the consolidated information I want.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might try the Spending > Income and Expense by Category report. This defaults to just banking accounts but you can add investing accounts and their income will be broken out by _DivInc, _RlzdGain, etc. You can eliminate any categories you do not want to see in the report. 

But if you want to separate out dividends received in cash from those reinvested, this will not help.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • swalk729
    swalk729 Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > You might try the Spending > Income and Expense by Category report. This defaults to just banking accounts but you can add investing accounts and their income will be broken out by _DivInc, _RlzdGain, etc. You can eliminate any categories you do not want to see in the report. 
    >
    > But if you want to separate out dividends received in cash from those reinvested, this will not help.

Thank you. I have already tried that. The problem is that reinvested dividends (expenses) since the records for these transactions do not show the category/description for reinvested dividends. The dividends themselves show up but not the action of reinvested ones. I was hoping I was missing something, but it appears I wasn't and a separate report will have to do.
This discussion has been closed.