Cannot Get Account out of Error State

I have multiple accounts in an error state that I can't fix. It says I need to link to online banking but if DONT want to use online banking with these accounts and I can't seem to turn it off.

When I try to set up online banking it gives me sequence of dialogs that creates a NEW account which does not help at all.

What can I do to fix this?

Best Answers

Answers

• RavenA
    RavenA Member
    Thanks, but I have an existing account that thinks it should be linked to online and i need to change to be manual entry. Those instructions explain how to create a new account with manual entry.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    How about: https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Note: If the accounts are truly in a state that can't be fixed, you'll likely want to recreate the accounts and move the transactions you want to keep. 
  • RavenA
    RavenA Member
    Ok, that gave me more to do but I ended up in the same hell where I can only create a NEW account. I cannot change the online method for an EXISTING account.

When I start from the "Online Services" tab of an existing account and click "Set up Now..." I get a dialog. No matter which option I pick in this dialog it ignores the account I started with and forces me to create new account with a new name.

BTW - I messed up another account because I tried to follow those instructions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    RavenA said:
    Ok, that gave me more to do but I ended up in the same hell where I can only create a NEW account. I cannot change the online method for an EXISTING account.

When I start from the "Online Services" tab of an existing account and click "Set up Now..." I get a dialog. No matter which option I pick in this dialog it ignores the account I started with and forces me to create new account with a new name.

BTW - I messed up another account because I tried to follow those instructions.
    If you're at the Online Services tab in the Account Details window and the Online setup offers Set up Now..., the account register is already not enabled for online banking.

It sounds like you decided to attempt to setup the online service you didn't want...

At this point, I suggest you undo the changes by restoring a backup you saved before you started down this path: select File > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File...
  • RavenA
    RavenA Member
    Technically ,the account had online services before but the account was closed down so a backup will not help me. I simply want to disable the online services so i don't get these warnings all of the time.

Why did Quicken make such a simple operation impossible?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please do TOOLS, Account List.  What does it say in the "Transactions Download" column adjacent to this account?
    And, how was the account "closed down"?  By the bank, or by you within Q?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RavenA
    RavenA Member
    Transactions Download says "Not Available" and Financial Institution is empty .
    Another account with same bank says "No" and the Financial Institution is correct.

I moved my business to another bank but need the transaction history.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    RavenA said:
    Technically ,the account had online services before but the account was closed down so a backup will not help me. I simply want to disable the online services so i don't get these warnings all of the time.

Why did Quicken make such a simple operation impossible?

Restoring a backup would help you as it appears you already did disable the online services.

What are these warnings you are getting all of the time?

Also, you haven't answer @UKR's follow-up question regarding how the account was closed in Quicken.
  • RavenA
    RavenA Member
    I recently upgraded quicken and certain accounts were flagged with a orange triangle that says "this account is in a error state...". When I do one step update I get a dialog telling me to fix the accounts (I can suppress that dialog but the orange triangle seems permanent).

I did not do anything other than upgrade to the latest Quicken. There is a non-initiative dialog in the online setup where something that looks like a combo box but requires a right click to change instead of the normal left click. I may have made the wrong choice during the initial set up and it is too late to go back a save before the upgrade.

That said, I should be able to disable online services for the account so the error goes away. How do I do that?
  • RavenA
    RavenA Member
    Thank you both very much for your assistance. It may be that I have corrupt file. I will try the validation steps suggested.
This discussion has been closed.