what is with the .dat that keep appearing every time i close my data file. Do I need it and can i

Best Answer

Answers

• rhardy10
    rhardy10 Member ✭✭
    Can I keep it from happening?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is it appearing?  And what's the 1st part of the file name?
    Also, where is your Q data file located?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• rhardy10
    rhardy10 Member ✭✭
    2 files, same name as my file +QFXlog.dat and _synclog.dat all stored on desktop
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rhardy10 said:
    2 files, same name as my file +QFXlog.dat and _synclog.dat all stored on desktop

So that means that your actual .QDF data file is also stored on your desktop, C:\Users\_username_here_\Desktop
    together with one or more of these folders: \Backup, \Validate, \QxxFiles, \Config, \Inet, \Log
    The recommended (and default) location for Quicken data files is
    C:\Users\_username_here_\Documents\Quicken
    I recommend you close Quicken and, using Windows File Explorer, move your data file, the log files and any of the above folders into the \Documents\Quicken folder. Do not move the Quicken program icon from the Desktop, move only the files and folders.
    When done moving files navigate to the new folder location and double-click the Quicken data file in its new place, to start Quicken using this file. This makes Quicken remember the new file location.

• rhardy10
    rhardy10 Member ✭✭
    The sprious files lodge in whatever path the Q file resides and seems to be created on exit
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rhardy10 said:
    The sprious files lodge in whatever path the Q file resides and seems to be created on exit
    That's what is supposed to happen ... and why you were instructed to move your Q data file to a sub-folder.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• rhardy10
    rhardy10 Member ✭✭
    do you know the purpose of these files
  • rhardy10
    rhardy10 Member ✭✭
    these files seem not to serve any purpose, but I have moved the data files and dont have to look at them anymore., still curious what function they serve, but thanks for the he;lp
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    All of my Quicken files (.EXE, .DAT files as well as backups) are saved in stored in a subfolder on my C drive.

My Quicken subscription is about to be auto-renewed and I've been seeing this annoying _synclog.dat pop up on my desktop for the past few days. Not sure if it's due to a) the upcoming subscription renewal or or b) a technical issue based on my most recent auto-update.

Either way, you can right-click on the .dat file and select "Hidden" on the properties. While the file still resides on the desktop, it won't be visible any longer during future logins.
This discussion has been closed.