Where does one enter the "Credit Limit" for a Credit Card in Quicken Starter 2020?

Options
I have used Quicken since 1995 and just installed Quicken Starter 2020. For my older credit cards, I see at the bottom of each credit card account page "Credit Remaining" and "Ending Balance"; but I do not see "Credit Remaining" for the new credit card which I just added to Quicken Starter 2020. I think that is because I have not entered the Credit Limit for the new card. But, I cannot find the location where I insert the Credit Limit for this new card. I would think that it should be in "Account Details" but there is no place for it there. Could you please tell me where I enter the Credit Limit?
Thank you very much, Sandy

Best Answers

Answers

• Sandy1A
    Sandy1A Member
    Options
    Hi Sherlock,
    Yesterday, I searched for a while in Quicken Starter 2020 and in the Community to find the place to enter the Credit Limit for my new credit card account, but couldn’t find it. Because yesterday was Sat., tel support was not available. So, I spent over 1 hr & 15 mins with a rep on Chat, all to no avail. That’s when I posted in the Community. Thank you very much for responding.

I thought that what you wrote would solve my problem. But, the “Account Details” window in Quicken Starter 2020 does not contain the “Set up alerts” box with the place in it to enter one’s Credit Limit(as compared to the screenshot that you sent me).

So, today I used Help to search “alerts”, then clicked on “Set up financial alerts” but my Tools drop-down menu does not contain “Alerts Center”. I then searched for “Alerts Center” but that search ended with 0 topics found. So, I searched for “Banking Alerts” which brought me back to “Set up financial alerts” and to the “Alerts Center” which I could not find.

Do you know where in Quicken Starter 2000 I can find the “Alerts Center” or even better “Banking Alerts” (which according to iSeek has the credit card alert) ?

Thank you very much,
    Sandy
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another view where, in higher edition levels of Quicken, one may enter Credit Limit for credit card accounts is in the Property & Debt tab's Debt view.
    The blue text fields are clickable and can be edited.
    Now, if you can find neither this view nor the Alerts Center in your functionally very limited Starter Edition, there's nothing you can do to be able to enter these numbers, except upgrade your subscription to Quicken Deluxe.
    Sorry, but that's the best answer I can give you.
    Many customers who want to save money downgrade to the cheaper Starter Edition without fully understanding the lack of features available within and then they are disappointed. The Starter Edition is meant for beginners, who want to start out using and learning Quicken. It's not meant for long time Quicken users who need advanced features.
  • Sandy1A
    Sandy1A Member
    Options
    Hi UKR,
    Thank you for the info. I do not have "PROPERTY & DEBT" in my green bar across the top of the /page/window, as you do. I previously had Quicken Deluxe 2013, but just got Quicken Starter 2020 as I use Quicken only as a register for my checking account, savings account and credit card accounts. I prefer to manually enter all of the entries, so that I can fully describe the purpose or reason for each entry. I do not do the downloading from banks and financial institutions. Also, I use Quicken to transfer tax info into TurboTax. (Another reason that I just got Quicken Starter 2020 is that there's a deal on Amazon which gives a free year of Quicken Starter 2020 when one buys TurboTax Deluxe for 2019 (and i buy TurboTax every year to do my taxes).
    What's strange to me is that for my older credit card accounts which were "imported" from from Quicken 2013 QDATA files in Quicken Starter 2020, "Credit Remaining" -- along with "Ending Balance" -- shows at the bottom of each credit card page/window in Quicken Starter 2020; but I can not get "Credit Remaining" to show for the new credit card account which i just setup in Quicken Starter 2020.
    Do you have any other ideas?
    Thank you,
    Sandy
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember, the old credit card accounts were created in Deluxe, where this feature is available. In Starter, this feature is not available and you cannot make it do what the feature level settings do not allow it to do. Sorry.
  • Sandy1A
    Sandy1A Member
    Options
    If the "Credit Remaining" feature does not exist in Starter 2020, how can/does Starter 2020 display the "Credit Remaining" data which is in Deluxe 2013?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you are going to enter everything manually maybe you should stick with Deluxe 2013.  I'm staying on 2013 also.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sandy1A
    Sandy1A Member
    Options
    To UKR: Thank you for the explanation.

To volvogirl: Thank you for the suggestion of staying with -- actually it would be reverting back to -- Deluxe 2013. I'll consider it after working with Starter 2020 for a while.

Sandy
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sandy1A said:
    To UKR: Thank you for the explanation.

To volvogirl: Thank you for the suggestion of staying with -- actually it would be reverting back to -- Deluxe 2013. I'll consider it after working with Starter 2020 for a while.

Sandy

Fallback to 2013 won't be easy, however. The Quicken data file of the 2020 software uses a record layout that is different from and incompatible with Q 2013. You cannot just simply open the data file that you used with 2020 with the 2013 software. That doesn't work.
    The only thing you can do if you do reinstall Q 2013 on your computer is to restore the latest backup of your Quicken data file taken with Q 2013 before you installed Q 2020 and manually bring it up to date.
    My 2cents' worth: Stay with 2020 Starter until your current subscription is about to expire. At that point in time purchase an upgrade to 2021 Deluxe.
  • Sandy1A
    Sandy1A Member
    Options
    Hi UKR,
    Thank you very much for that information and advice. I WILL stay with Quicken 2020 Starter. You are very knowledgeable!
    That one feature of "Credit Remaining" for one credit card account is not a big deal. If I need the amount, I can easily compute it in my head. It is not worth the time, and possible trouble, to reinstall Deluxe 2013 and then manually bring it up to date.
    Sandy
  • davidyaeger
    davidyaeger Member ✭✭
    Options
    After reading all of this valuable information, I would like to know why Quicken does not describe these limitations in their starter version. I, like Sandy1A, just use it to centralize my bank and credit card money accounts and do not need lots of bells and whistles.
    I also cannot schedule one-step updates any longer in this version. Any thoughts there?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @davidyaeger The starter version doesn't allow for scheduling One Step Updates.  If it did it would be on the Tools menu.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.