How can I start a new Quicken file with just my banking transactions and no investment info at all?

I have been using Quicken (Windows) for 20 years. I am now retired, and have consolidated all investments with one broker who provides me all the information I need. I would like to start 2020 with just my banking info and have all investment info removed. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    I was also going to suggest the - Separate & Hide - for those old investment accounts.
    I've done that with old... 529, savings, biz, checking, etc -
    Once you burn the filing cabinet - they are gone -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your Quicken accounts are balanced and reconciled, why start over? If you goal is to discontinue tracking investments, so be it, stop updating the investments. If you create a new file, you will need to go through the bother of parsing and adding transactions to get all bank and credit card accounts to reconcile. Then if you ever decide to review or update investments, you will be out of luck.
  • ckaplan
    ckaplan Member ✭✭
    Thanks - but I don't want to see the decades of investment transactions. They were from a lifetime ago and not relevant any more. None of these impact my bank and credit card transactions. It's a lot of visual clutter, mysterious placeholder entries, and basically just plain irritating. My idea was to start 2020 with only banking/credit card data. I do need to track spending, and I have over 20 years of spending records that I'd like to keep. I could start from the beginning with a completely new file for 2020, but I don't want to lose all my past data. Any suggestions? I do appreciate your response. Thank you.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Review "Year end copy" in Q's Help file (F1).  You can trim your current file to a period (going back) that you desire.
    NOTE, however, that if you change your mind about including the Investment accounts, that it's almost impossible to "put Humpty together again".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ckaplan
    ckaplan Member ✭✭
    Thanks - just reviewed the info in the help file (that was a helpful resource). It appears that one can trim down the file using a time cutoff. However, I don't want to get rid of anything EXCEPT investment information. Trimming my current file won't help - even though I haven't had an investment transaction in 5 years all those balances, placeholder requests, etc. are still there. Is there a help file anywhere that could direct me how to split up the file and just carry banking transactions over.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you have no, NO, NO transactions from your checking/savings accounts, you can copy your current data file over to a new one with a new name. Then open the new data file and go to accounts and delete any/all investment accounts you no longer want. This should get you what you want. Make note of the checking account balance prior to deleting the account in the event there were transactions that did go between banking and investments.
  • ckaplan
    ckaplan Member ✭✭
    Thank you!! This is exactly what I want to do. I will try it out....and report back.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    I was also going to suggest the - Separate & Hide - for those old investment accounts.
    I've done that with old... 529, savings, biz, checking, etc -
    Once you burn the filing cabinet - they are gone -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.