Quicken is extremely slow to load. It is also slow to display.

It takes several minutes for Quicken to load and sometimes it doesn't load at all. It also asks for my password (which I had to reset) and that window comes up blank but eventually loads. I have turned off animation, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Have you tried validating your data file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Janet Berg
    Janet Berg Member ✭✭
    Path is c:\users\janet\documents\quicken\qdata. I use McAfee and Malwarebytes for security. I don't use any cloud backups, but I have access to all 3 that you mentioned. I backup up to a thumb drive. This problem started after I received the latest update from Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Q set to do ANY downloads upon starting?
    Also, please confirm the Q product, and BUILD, that you're running.  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Janet Berg
    Janet Berg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I'm not aware of it doing any downloads upon starting.
    Q info attached.
    [EDIT] Win Premier, R23.21[/EDIT]
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT, or remove, the image that you posted.  It contains your email address and since this is a public forum, such can be harvested by scammers.
    NEXT, as suggested by @Greg_the_Geek, Validate your Q data file
    FILE, File Operations, Validate and Repair ... being sure to check both "Validate File" and "Rebuild Investing Lots" before you click OK.

• Janet Berg
    Janet Berg Member ✭✭
    It gave me a long list of things to fix, mostly on closed accounts. Do I need to do all of that? Also, when I run one-step update, it displays a blank password request. Eventually, it comes up with the display so I can enter my pw, and then it spins and comes back that "something went wrong," and to try again, but it ignores me after that. My password is correct.
  • Janet Berg
    Janet Berg Member ✭✭
    Now, I'm in a loop where it wants my sign-in. The only way to get out of it is to shut down Quicken. AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAT password?  There are many associated with Q. 
    What "sign-in"?
    Can you show a snapshot of those dialogs?
    And, have you tried downloading your accounts one-by-one from within Q to see if one of them is causing the problem?
    Also, do EDIT, Preferences and click on Startup.  Is "Download Transactions when Quicken starts" checked?

• Janet Berg
    Janet Berg Member ✭✭
    "Download transactions when Quicken starts" is NOT checked.

Trying to update 1 account at a time. PW request dialog slowly pops up. It doesn't accept my password (the only one I know), so, when I close out of it, it just pops up agaom and I have to shut Q down via task manager to get out of it. I'll send a snap shot in the next message, because this site keeps showing the wrong image.
  • Janet Berg
    Janet Berg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Here's the dialog box.
  • Janet Berg
    Janet Berg Member ✭✭
    sorry, will have to remove it because it's showing my email, and I can't show you the display without it.
This discussion has been closed.