Spending Activity Does Not Work

Ray3
Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Reports (Windows)
Using the "Examine Your Spending" from the main screen displays a screen showing all the transactions for the last 30 days. Selecting a category from the pie chart continues to display all the transactions rather than the transactions for the category. There is no way to get just the transactions for the category when using the examine spending function from the main screen.

Even when there is a message about an un-categorized transaction, selecting that link will not display the offending transaction but will instead display all the transactions for the last 30 days.

This has been a problem for a long time. I was hoping that updating to the latest release would resolve the issue. Nope. Same problem. [removed - off-topic]

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Q product are you running and what BUILD of Q?  You can find this info at HELP, About Quicken.
    And,how do you get to this "Examine your Spending", because I can't find such in my copy of QWin Subscription HBR

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AAHHH, I finally found that link ... but it appears to be working properly for me.  I can't reproduce the errors that you're reporting.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Version is year 2020; Version R23.21; Build 27.1.23.21; Windows Version; Quicken Premier. I am attaching a screen shot of where the link is located. It is under the block titled "See Where Your Money Goes".

Selecting this link displays the transactions for the last 30 days. Selecting a category changes the pie chart but still displays all the transactions for the last 30 days. Basically the data displayed does not match the chart displayed.

This has been a problem for at least two years. I have reported the issue before. I recently upgraded to the latest version hoping the problem would be fixed. Nope. Apparently the developers don't use their own product, such reasons becoming obvious.
  • Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    FYI you can get this screen by customizing the display on the home screen to include the item "See Where Your Money Goes".
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Examine Your Spending brings you to the Transactions view of the Spending tab.  Selecting a category from the pie chart should filter the display to the transactions that contain the category.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Examine Your Spending brings you to the Transactions view of the Spending tab.  Selecting a category from the pie chart should filter the display to the transactions that contain the category.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Been there, done that. Here are the results:

[Wed Jan 15 19:41:45 2020]

File: "D:\My Documents\Quicken\Rays Quicken File"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Wed Jan 15 19:42:04 2020]
    Validation has completed.

Thus the file is correct as far as Quicken is concerned. Yet the display is still not correct.
  • Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    The only time the display is correct is when I have drilled down to a single category with no sub-categories and a single payee. Otherwise all the transactions for the entire date range are displayed.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If the Copy and Validate doesn't detect and repair the issue, you may want to try Super Validate: press Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair
  • Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Thanks for the information. Did not help, same issue.
  • Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Just finished chatting with Quicken support. Their response is that there is basically nothing they can do to resolve the issue. They say the file is damaged but won't provide a way to fix the file. [removed - violation of community guidelines].

Their program, their file format, how am I supposed to know what is wrong in the file or how to fix the file? Everything else is working.

Since I paid for the product, which is supposed to include support, I am going to demand my money back.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I see is similar to @Sherlock and @NotACPA: clicking on a section of the pie chart on the See where your money goes Home screen panel filters the results to include just that category. 

On thing, a nice feature I think, is that if the selected category has subcategories, those are broken out to the right of the chart. If there are no subcategories, the breakout is by payee.

Also please note before you give up on Quicken is that there are other ways to see the data it sounds like you are looking for. You might try the Spending by Category report customized to include the desired category or the EasyAnswer How much did I spend on ... report for example.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Also please note before you give up on Quicken is that there are other ways to see the data it sounds like you are looking for.

My beef currently is with support. There is a problem, somewhere. Either in my file or in the program logic. A feature is not working. Support refuses to help other than to say there is a problem in my file. What is the problem? How do I fix the problem.

I have been using Quicken since 1992 and was a beta tester at one time. My file has been moved along with all the versions. Lately I eliminated all transactions before 2010 from my file as the file was getting very large. That is when the issue happened.

I feel the problem is in the categories, Quicken not recognizing something. Regardless, Quicken is being of no help. Not very professional and certainly not something worthy of my money.
  • Ray3
    Ray3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    More information. It seems that the list of transaction is completely ignoring the category. For those categories with multiple transactions, different category, all the categories are showing for the single payee.

Is there a setting somewhere that controls how the spending report displays transactions where it can be set to payee or category?
This discussion has been closed.