I am really motivated to move to QMac 2020 from QWin 2017...BUT the learning curve

SageOne
SageOne Member ✭✭
Rather than go through all the years I've used QFW (back to 2009 or so, after Microsoft took the Money and ran), I'll try to get to the root of what brings me here to ask my first, but very likely not my last, question.

As a heavy user of QFW 2017 (and previous versions) for years, I know how it works, what the workflow is like, what the quirks are and how to stay productive despite the quirks.

But QFM 2020 is not QFW 2017. And that's OK. Instead of complaining "Why doesn't QFM work like QFW 2017" I'm really trying instead to learn how to be productive with QFM. So my question is: Is there a book, a treatise, a primer, a sticky Community post, a YT video, produced by someone who successfully learned to be productive with QFM 2019/2020 after years of depending on QFW?

Something like, "I know it's your current practice to go to the bottom of the Account Register and accept downloaded/cleared transactions into the Register: well here's how the QFM 2020 workflow handles this task" or "QFW 2017 has the Password Vault, but QFM doesn't have this concept and instead requires you to use Mac Keychain Access, and you'll therefore need to consider the following", etc, or "Here's why "Pay Now" is not available/is greyed-out in a Bills & Income Reminder in QFM 2020".

And you guessed it...I can't seem to wrap my head around those 3 initial differences. :smile:

If anyone would be willing to provide some guidance, has "been there, done that", I'd be very interested in that input. I'd appreciate especially hearing from anyone who had similar challenges moving to QFM 2020, and can offer their voice of experience.

Many thanks in advance. Apologies for the long post.

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    About 8 years ago, I had a series of videos pertaining to the new version of Quicken for Mac. I haven't maintained them as 1) the program kept getting updated with new features, and 2) users were migrating (from both older QMac and QWin) and picking it up. It isn't really hard, assuming you forget how we did things in the DOS/early Windows days. I had early struggles myself, but quickly warmed to the more modern way of doing things.

You really have to use the program and keep an open mind. It sounds like you already are that far. Granted, the program does omit some features long available in QWin. But, the ones it does have serves the majority of users needs.

There is no book or cheat sheet that I know of. Using the program is pretty self explanatory, and if you run into trouble, posting here is probably the best way to get questions answered.

As far as your 3 questions: 1) there is no transaction pen to accept downloaded transactions. This was on purpose, and I think you will get used to not having to deal with that additional step. 2) yes, passwords for DC (and other details) are encrypted/handled by the OS. That is simply leveraging the operating systems core capabilities and not not having to rework what is already there. 3) You will have to explain more about scheduled transactions. IMHO, it is easier to deal with scheduled transactions in QMac than versions from the past.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    About 8 years ago, I had a series of videos pertaining to the new version of Quicken for Mac. I haven't maintained them as 1) the program kept getting updated with new features, and 2) users were migrating (from both older QMac and QWin) and picking it up. It isn't really hard, assuming you forget how we did things in the DOS/early Windows days. I had early struggles myself, but quickly warmed to the more modern way of doing things.

You really have to use the program and keep an open mind. It sounds like you already are that far. Granted, the program does omit some features long available in QWin. But, the ones it does have serves the majority of users needs.

There is no book or cheat sheet that I know of. Using the program is pretty self explanatory, and if you run into trouble, posting here is probably the best way to get questions answered.

As far as your 3 questions: 1) there is no transaction pen to accept downloaded transactions. This was on purpose, and I think you will get used to not having to deal with that additional step. 2) yes, passwords for DC (and other details) are encrypted/handled by the OS. That is simply leveraging the operating systems core capabilities and not not having to rework what is already there. 3) You will have to explain more about scheduled transactions. IMHO, it is easier to deal with scheduled transactions in QMac than versions from the past.
  • SageOne
    SageOne Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much for your input, John_in_NC. I appreciate the perspective. The QFM 2020 workflow is just different, not what I've been doing for 20+ years with Quicken and before Quicken, with MS-Money. Last year I licensed and installed Banctivity, migrated my QFW 2017 file over, and tried to use Banctivity for a few weeks but had similar workflow challenges and gave up trying to get used to it after a few weeks. I'm more motivated now. I think. :smile:

I really appreciate your responses to my 3 starter questions.

I'm going to have to noodle more on 2 - the Keychain thing because I haven't (intentionally) stored passwords in Keychain and am not comfortable doing so. I have seen some posts in which some smart people detail how to set up Keychain in a more secure way, with the login password calling another password, etc. I'm not however a Mac expert and really didn't even know there was a Keychain Access utility until I read those posts.

For 3- Scheduled transactions, I'll start with a couple of questions on this topic below and then ask 2 additional "How does this work in QFM 2020?" questions.

1. I had to set up manually a billing reminder in QFM 2020 for a Bill I pay every 3 years. I need to edit the Payment Method now, but I don’t see an obvious way to find this Billing Reminder. How do I find it so that I can edit it?
    2. On the QFM 2020 "Home - Upcoming Bills and Income" window: How do I delete an entry there that was created when QFM found XX potential bills to be paid in my migration of the QFM 2017 file?
    3. With QFW, there is a "Transfer money" function - click the Actions icon, move down to “Transfer Money”, click, and enter the Amount, Account From, Account To, viola. How do I do this with QFM 2020?
    4. Add a Flag or Note to a Transaction - easy enough with QFW; how do I do this with QFM?

Again, I really appreciate your time and experience here.
  • SageOne
    SageOne Member ✭✭
    Done, smayer97. Thanks for the reply. Meanwhile, I'll keep giving the automagic workflow a chance but with close scrutiny.
  • SageOne
    SageOne Member ✭✭
    FYI, I moved my 4 new questions to a new Post. I realized it's probably not appropriate to continue asking questions in this one.

Thanks again to John_in_NC and smayer97.
This discussion has been closed.