What's the best way to handle using Dropbox to move from office to home and back, very consusing

Move working file from dropbox to desktop and back. Working file vs backup file. What's the best way to handle this and be sure to have the correct file at all times?

Best Answers

Answers

• mpelstein
    mpelstein Member ✭✭
    Thanks for these great suggestions. I'll save my working file to my desktop as well as backup to the Dropbox backup folder. When done working in Quicken, after closing it, I'll copy the working file from the desktop to Dropbox. At my other computer I'll copy the working file to the desktop and work from there. That should work.
    Thanks again,
    Mark
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was traveling all the time for work, I used a simple USB drive to move between my home computer and my work computer.
    Backup on one, Restore to the other.  That way, the computer where you are is ALWAYS the one with the current date ... unless you break the process.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    When I was traveling all the time for work, I used a simple USB drive to move between my home computer and my work computer.
    Backup on one, Restore to the other.  That way, the computer where you are is ALWAYS the one with the current date ... unless you break the process.
    I find using a remote desktop client is better than relying on Dropbox or a USB drive especially since I'm not the only one updating Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was/am the only one updating Q ... and when I was traveling all the time my client's almost NEVER allowed such external connectivity over their networks.  
    And I sure as H... wasn't going to pay the hotels for such usage. 
    Also remember, that all of this was well before WiFi connectivity ... if the boondocks where I was assigned even had such.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• branzburg
    branzburg Member
    I understand it is not recommended to open Quicken directly from one's Dropbox folder. But would pausing Dropbox syncing make it a safe thing to do? That way no accidental updates would be saved on Dropbox until you were ready to do so. Or am I missing something? Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    branzburg said:
    I understand it is not recommended to open Quicken directly from one's Dropbox folder. But would pausing Dropbox syncing make it a safe thing to do? That way no accidental updates would be saved on Dropbox until you were ready to do so. Or am I missing something? Thanks.

Technically, yes, assuming you paused Dropbox before you open the data file with Quicken, you subsequently resume Dropbox after you exit Quicken, allow Dropbox to complete the sync, and you never access the data file concurrently on both machines.
  • pwb
    pwb Member
    > @branzburg said:
    > I understand it is not recommended to open Quicken directly from one's Dropbox folder. But would pausing Dropbox syncing make it a safe thing to do? That way no accidental updates would be saved on Dropbox until you were ready to do so. Or am I missing something? Thanks.

This is what I do and have been doing for years without an issue. I just make sure that syncing is complete and then paused before opening the file on each end. Also make sure to re-enable syncing when I am done, and that it actually sync's before I get up from the computer. Taking those few seconds to make sure syncing is correct, has kept me from having any issues.

All that said, if you don't take the time to make sure those things are done right then don't do it. Also since Quicken doesn't support it, I know I am on my own if I have issues. What why I have auto-backup turned on to a different non-Dropbox folder. Worst case I go back to one of those but I have not needed to do that.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have been using Dropbox to use on my home and work computer for years. I just make sure to pause Dropbox while opening Quicken and unpausing. I have never had any issues even though people state that it isn't recommended.

Never had any issues.
This discussion has been closed.