Can't open new 2020 Quicken/Mac nor my Quicken 2017 either

Can't open newly purchased 2020 Quicken/Mac nor my Quicken 2017 either. Keeps telling me it has to be moved to the Applications folder but both are already in the Applications folder. I go along and ok "moving it" there anyway but get an endless cycle of messages asking me to move it to the Applications folder and it never opens!

Best Answers

• NateS
    NateS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Followup: Well I read all the way from the top to the bottom of that link you kindly sent me, coming finally near the end to this: "One thing that can cause Quicken to think it's running from its disk image is if there's a hidden file or folder called ".background" in the same folder that contains Quicken (in this case, the /Applications folder)."
    I didn't bother with running the Terminal but simply opened the Applications folder, sorted by Date Added and hit (Command/Shift/.) to show hidden files and there was the culprit - a hidden folder named "Background" containing within a hidden PNG file named "background.png" both of which had a creation date the same as the installation of the new Quicken update, and which I forthwith sent to Trash; and then double-clicked on Quicken 2017 which (WOW) gave me the option of opening the new Quicken or Quicken 2017!!! Hooray!
    (Why oh why did you do this to us, Quicken? Grrrr!)
    Naturally I chose Quicken 2017 where I hoped to find my many years of records and yes they were there! Whew!
    Now to carefully puzzle out the transfer to the new Quicken, which I will do after setting aside my cloned backup disk created just before this fiasco and then completely cloning my updated internal disk to a brand-new backup disk just ordered from Amazon. (I postponed all Time Machine activity and on-site and cloud backup activity as soon as this above-described perceived Quicken lockout disaster became apparent.)
    I'm not sure I understand or trust the instructions to move to my newly purchased Quicken (2020) so I may be back to seek your further advice and assistance after savoring a Jack Daniels on the rocks!
    Rick: Thank you so much!
    Nate

Answers

• NateS
    NateS Member ✭✭
    I was hoping for a prompt response and some help. I am attaching a copy of the message I get on my Mac in an endless loop. I keep clicking Install but nothing happens except getting the message again and again. I can't get into my existing accounts containing years and years of records!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Are you logged into the Mac in an admin account?

I don't recall what causes this, but I would just start over as follows:

1. Restart the computer
    2. Log into the Mac with an admin account
    3. Go to the Applications folder (make sure you're in the top level one, not the one in your user account) and move the file Quicken.app to the trash.
    4. Do the same in the Applications folder in your user account, if the Quicken.app file is there too.
    5. Log into www.quicken.com/my-account and Download for Mac
    6. Locate the Quicken.dmg file in your Downloads folder and double click it
    7. In the window that opens, double click the Quicken Installer.app icon.
    This will install a fresh copy of the Quicken app in your Applications folder and you should be good to go.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • NateS
    NateS Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestion, Rick.
    Yes I am logged into the Administrative Account on my Mac.
    Although I had already tried this before posting, I followed your instructions above explicitly again several times but unfortunately with the same result. I get the same message as per attachment below. I click the blue Install button even though it is already in the Applications folder and I get a moving thermometer telling me it is installing Quicken and then I get the dialog below all over again in an endless loop.
    Where do I go from here?
    Nate
  • RickO
    You click the "blue Install button"? I do not see a blue install button when I follow the steps outlined above. Here are screenshots of what I do see:

If Quicken.app is not removed from Applications before trying to install, I see this:

So, I'm not sure where "blue Install button" is coming from.

But, nonetheless, try this:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-asking-to-be-installed-when...

• NateS
    NateS Member ✭✭
    I will take a look at that link. But didn't you see the blue button in the attached screenshot I sent you of the Dialog panel I keep getting?
    Here it is again - attached.
  • RickO
    Oh THAT blue button! I'm not seeing that message in the normal install sequence, so no blue button. Normally, after the "Installing Quicken..." dialog, Quicken will launch. I'm assuming that's when you're getting the error dialog with the blue button? If so, hopefully the link I provided will help.
  • NateS
    NateS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Followup: Well I read all the way from the top to the bottom of that link you kindly sent me, coming finally near the end to this: "One thing that can cause Quicken to think it's running from its disk image is if there's a hidden file or folder called ".background" in the same folder that contains Quicken (in this case, the /Applications folder)."
    I didn't bother with running the Terminal but simply opened the Applications folder, sorted by Date Added and hit (Command/Shift/.) to show hidden files and there was the culprit - a hidden folder named "Background" containing within a hidden PNG file named "background.png" both of which had a creation date the same as the installation of the new Quicken update, and which I forthwith sent to Trash; and then double-clicked on Quicken 2017 which (WOW) gave me the option of opening the new Quicken or Quicken 2017!!! Hooray!
    (Why oh why did you do this to us, Quicken? Grrrr!)
    Naturally I chose Quicken 2017 where I hoped to find my many years of records and yes they were there! Whew!
    Now to carefully puzzle out the transfer to the new Quicken, which I will do after setting aside my cloned backup disk created just before this fiasco and then completely cloning my updated internal disk to a brand-new backup disk just ordered from Amazon. (I postponed all Time Machine activity and on-site and cloud backup activity as soon as this above-described perceived Quicken lockout disaster became apparent.)
    I'm not sure I understand or trust the instructions to move to my newly purchased Quicken (2020) so I may be back to seek your further advice and assistance after savoring a Jack Daniels on the rocks!
    Rick: Thank you so much!
    Nate
This discussion has been closed.