New lot assignment dialog has problems

Options
Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
I just noticed the Lot Assignment Options dialog is actually there in R24.14. Nice work to add a feature many have asked for.
But I see some problems with the dialog.
  • Strings are truncated.
  • The radio buttons for automatic assignment should be disabled (gray) when Automatic Assignment is un-checked, to cue the user that choice does not apply in that situation.
  • The text "First shares in for equities" makes little sense. Why mention "equities"? It should simply say "First in, first out (FIFO)". The other button should say "Last in, first out (LIFO)".

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also as has been noted earlier, there are two other choices for automatic lot assignment in the Specify Lots dialog: Minimum Gain and Maximum Gain. Is there some reason these options are not included?

And finally, as a reminder, if there is a partial sale of a security that is set to "Use average cost", Quicken always shows an unnecessary dialog where you have to confirm that you want to use average cost. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Echoing RJS and Jim's comment.

In addition I understand what this is supposed to do but I struggle to understand these prompts.

"Lot Assignment when 'Automatically Add Transactions' is Off".  What does this mean.

What does "Off" refer to?

Is the first prompt only relevant when "Automatically add to investment transaction lists" is checked or is the first prompt related to the 2nd choice meaning the 2nd choice does nothing unless the 1st prompt is checked?

If this works such that the 2nd option is only taking into account when the 1st prompt is checked then please gray out the 2nd prompt unless the 1st prompt is checked.  This gives the user an intuitive understanding of the relationship between the 2 fields.

Unfortunately this still doesn't do what I had hoped for wrt Lot Assignment.  I had hoped the functionality would do 2 things.

1) Provide a default lot assignment by account.  The default would be invoked for downloaded and manual entry.
    2) Allow for automatic lot assignment when "Automatically add to investment transactions list" was checked.

I'm guessing this functionality handles #2 but does not handle #1.  Or maybe I'm not understanding the prompts (nor the help text).
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    Quicken SangeethaS Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback.

@Rocket J Squirrel Which windows OS are you using? Can you please send me screenshots of your resolution / DPI settings? Will remove 'Equities'.

@Jim_Harman Yes we are not supporting the other lot assignment options yet mainly because we were not sure how many users have that need before we put in the effort. We'll keep an eye and improve.

@K.O. (Win-Premier) Yes the screen above is meant to give you ability to configure it per account.

We have currently implemented this only for downloaded transactions. I'll see what needs to be done to do this for manual entry as well. The first check box 'Automatic assignment instead of prompting on Accept' is for the cases where user is NOT automatically adding txns to investing register. If this option is not checked, we'll ask user to choose lot assignment for every 'Accept' from the downloaded transactions section.

The 2 radio buttons for LIFO, FIFO is for cases where user is automatically adding to register OR for cases where the check box above is checked and user clicks Accept / Accept All.

Please let me know if that explains it.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Rocket J Squirrel Which windows OS are you using? Can you please send me screenshots of your resolution / DPI settings? Will remove 'Equities'.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. The strings display properly at 100% scaling but truncate at 125%. (Same issue exists with global search box.)

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'd like Quicken to add the option for automatically selecting lots for minimum gain. For completeness, also maximum gain should be an option