Quicken 2017 install - receives connection error -

I just bought a new laptop & Quicken 2017 to replace Quicken 2015. I don't use internet functions & didn't want a subscription version. The CD seemed to load the software ok but when I went to upgrade my 2015 data file I received a connection error. How can I get 2017 to upgrade file and run?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is that QW2015 data file stored?
    What  QW2017 product do you have?  What QW2015 product?
    And, in your QW2017, what BUILD of Q do you have?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.
    Because QW2017 should have been able to find your data file and upgrade it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us the exact error message or post a screen shot. Conversion from 2015 to 2017 should work seamlessly.

That said, I always recommend doing a Copy & Validate in the old version before updating. This gives the newer version a nice clean data file to convert. So if you can revert to 2015 latest release and do that, it might help.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• QW2017 deluxe is what I bought to replace QW2015. After installing 2017 I selected upgrade & browsed to find the file I had copied to my hard drive. The software saved the original file in a subfolder it made called Q15Files & I believe it upgraded that original to a 2017 file.

That is when I got the connection error (screenshot inserted). I can't get the build because the Help pulldown doesn't work with the error message on the screen. I called Quicken customer support & was told that I needed to upgrade from 2017.
  • The 2015 version is also deluxe
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Isn't there a patch that needs to be applied to QW2017 so that it doesn't look to connect to the old Intuit mothership servers -
    EDIT - updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ronschifano101 ,

Unfortunately for Quicken 2017, unless you have a Internet Connection, you won't be able to access your Data, unless you have the Internet enabled to Register your Data File.

The same is true for Quicken 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 and the Subscription versions.

In order to convert the Data File from Quicken 2015 to Quicken 2017, you first need to restore the Internet temporarily and Register your Quicken Data File and convert the format to 2017.

The latest R, is 19.8.

Quicken 2017, is still supported until April 30, 2020.

See this FAQ: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

It includes link to Support.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exit Quicken, enter Internet Options in the search box to open Internet Properties. Click the Advanced tab, click the Restore advanced settings box and then OK. Restart Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • I have an internet connection, I think my quicken logon has expired since it wasn't used for 5 years.

ps56k mentioned "a patch that needs to be applied to QW2017 so that it doesn't look to connect to the old Intuit mothership servers"

Does anyone know about this patch. This may be the problem since my old ID & password gives me the connection error.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check that TLS was enabled in Internet Options?

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW2017R19.8MPatch.EXE
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just sharing the visual -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an internet connection, I think my quicken logon has expired since it wasn't used for 5 years.

ps56k mentioned "a patch that needs to be applied to QW2017 so that it doesn't look to connect to the old Intuit mothership servers"

Does anyone know about this patch. This may be the problem since my old ID & password gives me the connection error.
    Hi @ronschifano101 ,

That's it. When Quicken 2015 came out, it had a Intuit User ID and password.

If you never borrow to download and patch the Quicken Patches R #s, you never even switched to a Quicken User ID and password.

Go to :  https://www.quicken.com/ My Account and see if your old Intuit User ID and password, can still be converted. If not, you will need to click on Create Account.

Create a Quicken User ID and password. Once created, and you verify your Email Address, sign out and sign back in, to make sure it works.

Next open Quicken 2017 and create a Dummy Quicken Data File and register it.
    Once created, under Help, click Check for Updates., or even Download Latest Version. Once updated to R19.8, go to Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File. Once restored, and it asks you to Register it and shows your old information, click at the bottom, to Sign in with a different Quicken ID.

Now, you should be good to go.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.