cusip numbers and bond price updates

Options
ed12
ed12 Member ✭✭
Why doesn't Quicken recognize cusip numbers and allow bond pricing updates based on cusip numbers, analogous to symbols for stocks? Very hard to track bond prices via Quicken without that feature.

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Options
    Hello @ed,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Quicken>About Quicken. Also, please see this FAQ for details on adding more information to your post so that other Community members are best able to assist you. 

If you have not already done so, please take a look at this Discussion and post back to let us know if the information contained here helps to resolve this matter for you. 

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• ed12
    ed12 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am running Quicken Deluxe 2020, Vers. 5.14.2 on a Mac running 10.14.6. However, as far as I can tell from my contacts with support and from reading other posts, the cusip problem occurs with all versions of Quicken.
  • ed12
    ed12 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Apparently Quicken doesn't automatically update pricing for preferred stocks, even though they have a ticker symbol, in addition to not updating bond prices.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hello @ed,

Thank you for providing these additional details, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

It appears that Quicken for Mac does not currently add CUSIP information to securities.

This is currently being reviewed for implementation into the product.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

QMAC-9620

• ed12
    ed12 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Natalie,

I hope they will also incorporate price updates for preferred stocks. I was told in my recent support chat that prices for some preferred stocks are updated, but not all, which unfortunately was the case for the two preferred stocks I recently purchased.

Not updating prices for bonds and for preferred stocks is a real disincentive for any serious investor, as I told the person I was chatting with.

Hopefully this will get through to management.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hello @ed

Thank you for providing this additional feedback.

Please see the information outlined here for more details on updating security prices in Quicken. 

If there are specific securities that you are not seeing in Quicken, you may consider creating an Idea post outlining the specific security you'd like to see added to Quicken for automatic pricing updates.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken_Natalie said:
    > Hello @ed,
    >
    > Thank you for providing these additional details, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.
    >
    > It appears that Quicken for Mac does not currently add CUSIP information to securities.
    >
    > This is currently being reviewed for implementation into the product.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Natalie
    >
    > QMAC-9620

We have been able to add the CUSIP number in the symbol field for individual bonds for a year or so, although it is not specifically identified as CUSIP. It displays in the portfolio view in the symbol column. Perhaps the number should be entered with the CUSIP: prefix. This does make it easier to manually update the bond price obtained from a brokerage statement or the emma.msrb.org web site.
  • ed12
    ed12 Member ✭✭
    Options
    That's good to know, but it doesn't eliminate the issue of getting the prices to automatically download. Entering dates and prices for each bond by hand would be painful if you have more than a few bonds in your portfolio.

It would seem to be far better and far more logical if Quicken programmers were to create a separate entry page for bonds, which would have a place to enter the cusip #, and then set up automatic pricing download for bonds as they do now for stocks.
This discussion has been closed.