How to categorize multiple transactions? (edited to include topic)

Chief
Chief Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in Reports (Windows)
How do I select a specific category for 'uncategorized' transaction during the download?

When editing transaction in a Report, I use to be able to select multiple transactions and then right click and 're-categorize' them. It stop working now - Build 27.1.25.10

find and replace does not work like it used to either.

Best Answers

Answers

• Chief
    Chief Member ✭✭
    Thank you it worked - but, I use to be able to do it in the actual Income/Expense Report when they were all in sorted into one spot; do you know if something changed whereas we are not able to do that now?

Also, since I have someone that is knowledgeable in Quicken, is there a way to create a default category that all downloaded transactions, that don't already have a specific category, can be assigned too. Example: 'General Credit Card Expense'?

And lastly (for now) :) In an investment account (charles schwab) how do I only show in the transaction list the current year. I have archived and said only use 2020 data, but does not seem have used that file.

Thank you very much for your help.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should open separate discussions for any unrelated questions, so others can find the answers.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chief
    Chief Member ✭✭
    "You should still be able to drill down to the transactions in the Income/Expense report and recategorized the transactions. "

No, still does not, work as it should or did.
    Thanks again, appreciate it.
  • Chief
    Chief Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

No, the typical shift/ctrl right click does not work.
    1st, after selection of one transaction or multiple within the report, and then right clicking, does not highlight the option to recategorize, delete, retag , rename or edit.

They use to work as they are suppose to but not now.
    I even went back to 2018 and 2019 where I know they worked, and those do not work now.

Really confused. Not a novice user either.
  • Jim_Harman
    Try Shift and left-click or Ctrl and left-click to select then right-click to access the Recategorize option.
  • Chief
    Chief Member ✭✭
    Thank you again Jim, but, as I have said before I have done that. I have had Quicken for 10 years and have used the recategorize many times. It just has stopped working, it could be my computer, but but I been using if for years as well. Just floundering in the sea of confusion. ):
  • Jim_Harman
    Is this one of the standard reports or one that you have saved?

Another user just reported a similar problem with a saved report and found that rebuilding the report solved the problem for him.
  • Chief
    Chief Member ✭✭
    Yes, standard report.

First my 'old' saved report still does not work the way it did last year
    and the previous years.

I created a new report and remember why I was using my 'old' report.
    Last year Quicken had an update that change something after creating a report
    After creating a 'new' report it did not show the details like my
    old one - headings, sub-account, etc., to get around this I just saved my
    previous YTD file with a new name - ..../2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020.

What I learned today!
    Once a report is created and shows Categories - YTD etc., the user has to 'double click' (or hit Enter) on the category for it to drill down to
    the transaction level, then the Ctrl/Shift method of highling transaction works and the right click for options works.

This was the change Quicken made last year, instead of showing the sub-account level as a default, the user had to double-click (hit Enter) on the main category.....repeating myself here.

Thanks for offering the solution and hanging in there with me.
    Doug
  • Chief
    Chief Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the information.
    After searching the help menu/report customize etc., I still have not seen a ""Update to Show" button ". Will you guide me there please.

Doug
  • Chief
    Chief Member ✭✭
    Want to thank:
    Jim_Harman
    q_lurker
    Sherlock
    for each contribution to my questions.
    Through each one of your suggestions I have learned more about Reporting that will be very beneficial from this day forward.

Jim & q_lurker, your suggestion about which report I was using (not Itemized Category) and about the Show button was great. I have now created a new report using what you have taught me and am very please with the outcome.

Thanks again.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.