How can I enter a Corporate Name Change with an associated Symbol Change?

Options
Aqua America (WTR) became Essential Utilites, Inc. (WTRG) on February 3, 2020. If I change the name in the Security List, I will use all previous references to Aqua America. If I simply change the Aqua America symbol, then I can't refer to Essential Utilities. If I spin-off, XIn/XOut, etc., my lot information will be updated. Does Quicken have a way of handling this?

Best Answer

Answers

• loutrim
    loutrim Member
    Options
    Correction: "If I change the name in the Security List, I will *LOSE* all previous references to Aqua America."
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When a company changes its name, it should be referred to by it's new name.  When a company changes its ticker symbol, it should be referred to by the new ticker symbol.   The Corporate Name Change wizard changes the security's name and enters a reminder in the transaction list.  To change the ticker symbol, we edit the security.

There are a variety of ways to circumvent this behavior. For example, you could use the Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) wizard. 
  • loutrim
    loutrim Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jim_Harman. I did not realize the acquisition dates and cost basis were maintained. It looked to me like they were being reset to the date of the name change. I'll try it again and pay closer attention.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO, in this case, the name change and ticker change seems more appropriate.  Yes, your prior transactions will refer to Essential Utilities rather that Aqua America.  I don't know of a financial or record-keeping drawback to that.  They are one in the same company.  You could rename the company "Essential Util - aka Aqua America" as an example, if that would help you.  

Doing a Corporate Acquisition (Remove Shares / Add Shares) can have an impact on some (not all) of Quicken's performance parameters. 

Either choice you make is OK and you can follow your personal preference.  I just see this being presented publicly as a name change.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loutrim said:
    Thanks, Jim_Harman. I did not realize the acquisition dates and cost basis were maintained. It looked to me like they were being reset to the date of the name change. I'll try it again and pay closer attention.

Yes, the new Add Shares transactions are recorded on the date you specify, but the original purchase date is maintained under the covers. You'll see this in some of the reports and views, but not in the register.
This discussion has been closed.