Why don't reports add up total (Q Mac 2017)

kevs
kevs Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Reports (Mac)
I just started Quicken 2017 for Mac from way older version. I did my first report-- expenses for the year. For some odd reason, the report just not total the two categories I have: rent and credit card total. Just shows the totals of the two.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Any "New Report" report has an Export option on the menu above the data:

The old-style Category Summary report also has an export feature:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @kevs

Thank you for the response, I'm glad to hear that your reporting issue has been resolved.

You may be able to edit transactions "en masse" by highlighting several transactions and editing the category to include transfer.

I would start by searching for a payee/category to isolate the transactions that you would like to edit.

I would then select Command + A to highlight the entire register.

I would then navigate to the "Edit" option along the bottom of the register and type the desired category.

However, the 2017 version does not offer a way to control new transactions always being assigned the same category. The new subscription version of Quicken does offer this ability.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Which report?

Are these transactions all using the same currency?
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    Yes. I only see dollar sign.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Which report?

Also, multiple currencies use $; Canada and US for example. That is why I ask how the accounts (and transactions) are setup. 
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    No. I would not know or even think of doing multiple currencies
  • jacobs
    Which report?
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    Transaction, then account. just shows total for checking and total for credit card. But wont add them up together like old version of Mac Quicken did.
  • jacobs
    @kevs  Sorry, but could you be more explicit; there are multiple ways to generate some of these reports in Quicken, and it's hard to possibly suggest alternatives without clearly understanding.

On the Reports menu, which option are you selecting: Category Summary or Create Transaction Report?

If you do Create Transaction Report and you select Rows=Account, that gives you a report by account, and there is a grand total at the bottom. If you do Create Transaction Report and select rows=Category, that gives you a report subtotaled by category with a total at the bottom.  If you do Create Summary Report and select Rows=Category and Columns=Account, you get a report totaled by category, with each account in a separate column, totals for categories on the right side and totals for account at the bottom. Are none of these what you're looking for?

• kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    I go new report, Transaction, by Account. I don't see word Rows account, just Account. Maybe you have screeshot? Thanks!
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    It show total of each account, but is there way to show totals of the accounts added together? I've looked everywhere, crazy.
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    Old versions would just add this stuff up.
  • jacobs
    kevs said:
    Old versions would just add this stuff up.
    Well, actually you are using an older version with Quicken 2017. ;)  A lot of improvements have been made in reports in Quicken Mac over the past three years. My suggestions and terminology above were for the current version of Quicken; I hadn't read back to the beginning of the thread to see you were using Quicken 2017. They had just started writing the new reports engine at the time of Quicken 2017. The current reports still aren't as flexible as the legacy Quicken 2007, but they're continually being improved.
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Jacobs, ok just checked for first time, yet says "you are up to date! 4.8.6"

I don't understand why the report is not adding up the two accounts listed: credit card and checking.. Just shows their individual totals.
  • jacobs
    Yes, you have the latest release of Quicken 2017. That product is not the current version of Quicken, which is up to release 5.15.1 -- meaning there have been 15 major updates since the version you have. Several of those updates have dealt with reports features, including the ability to specify rows as well as columns for some reports.
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    What does that mean, 5.15.1.. where to I update? thanks
  • jacobs
    After 2017, Quicken switched to a subscription model. You purchase a subscription for a year or two, and during that time, you get all updates, access to online services, and access to Quicken Support. Just understand that you will have to maintain your subscription, or you will lose those benefits and have to enter everything manually. You can purchase Quicken directly from Quicken.com, or from retailers like Amazon, which often has better prices. After you purchase, you download the latest version of Quicken, and it will make a copy of your data file and upgrade it to the current format.
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    ZERO interest in subscription, thanks. That's the Adobe model of software slavery. I hardly use maybe one hour a year.

So to confirm: the old Mac Quicken would total up a report but the 2017 does not?

Or maybe someone else can solve this?
  • jacobs
    The old Quicken 2007 was the result of more than 20 years of development; when they had to start over from scratch, that meant that every last features and detail had to be rebuilt. They're still working towards that goal, years later. If you want the new and improved features Quicken has added in the past three years, you have to pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, you have to make do with the limitations of the old version you already have.

But if you really use Quicken for only an hour a year, you can probably just do what you want in a spreadsheet.
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    Pathetic though they forgot to be able to auto add accounts in report,.. no?

That said did notice an improvement at guessing categories, which saved me 2 hours of entering them manually, though some are generic, like hobbies it ok.

I can't do that as I download card statements to quicken and do quick import. No way for me to add them up in report before handing off to accountant?
  • jacobs
    No, the reports in Quicken 2017 can't do what you want. Yes, you can export a transaction report, open it in a spreadsheet, and sort and total it any way you want. If you use Quicken as little as you've said, and you just need this once a year to give to your accountant, you could be done with this in less time than you're spending re-asking the same question. ;)
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    thanks, how does one export it into Excel?
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Any "New Report" report has an Export option on the menu above the data:

The old-style Category Summary report also has an export feature:

• kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    New question: My account just pointed out on the expense report also Quicken 2017 did not total categories like 2007 did automatically. Can it do that?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @kevs

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

As there is not a standard "Expense Report" in the 2017 version, may I ask which report and setting did you use to create the expense report you are referring to?

The more information you can provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tyka, I do think I solved this just now, but have new important question on this all: CAn I tell quicken to change a category & recurring charge, for example, Target to a business expense, instead of a shopping expense and I don't have to then repeat that manually 30 times?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @kevs

Thank you for the response, I'm glad to hear that your reporting issue has been resolved.

You may be able to edit transactions "en masse" by highlighting several transactions and editing the category to include transfer.

I would start by searching for a payee/category to isolate the transactions that you would like to edit.

I would then select Command + A to highlight the entire register.

I would then navigate to the "Edit" option along the bottom of the register and type the desired category.

However, the 2017 version does not offer a way to control new transactions always being assigned the same category. The new subscription version of Quicken does offer this ability.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    Thanks, great info. or even better, do sort by Payee (instead of default date), and just select chunks and payees and change one by one...? I've been doing for years by slowly, clumsily going up the list by dates one by one!
  • kevs
    kevs Member ✭✭
    PS where are categories/ hard to find in 2017.. in old quicken I had it right there on toolbar; can place it again on toolbar?
This discussion has been closed.