Constantly requested to enter Quicken ID and password and patch Quicken. [Edited]

davidm235
davidm235 Member ✭✭
Formerly: Lately Quicken Upgrade too Slow, Large, and Cumbersome

Sorry, but the title to this problem is not good.

On March 2 and then today, the 7th, when I bring up my desktop Quicken, instead of going through the normal quick patch of Quicken to get my subscription up to date, it makes me go through a laborious process as follows:

Log on to Quicken using my Quicken ID and password (FOUR times!)
Down load a file about 300 MB large to upgrade Quicken
Then I have to execute this file for a "new" or "upgrade" process
Then it does a normal Windows install/upgrade of an existing program
Then do my normal Quicken log in.

Problems:
1) It takes about a half an hour to get this all done!
2) I have a data cap on how much data I can use in a month and this is a significant drain on that cap. (I live in a rural area and must use Satellite to access the internet.)
3) Why do I have to keep putting in the same ID all the time!

Is anyone else having this issue?

I am at Quicken R25.18 Build 27.1.25.18

I also just checked the Quicken exe files and they are the SAME file version! 4.0.100.190.

Any ideas what is going on?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi @davidm235 ,

Edited the title.

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

You haven't included your operating system.
    You haven't included your Quicken Edition.
    You have not included on the Path / where the Quicken Data File is located at on the computer.
    What Anti-Virus program is being used?
    Are you using any program that wipes out Tracks?

Have you been checking About Quicken after each Quicken Patch was installed?

Have you reinstalled Quicken after activating Quicken, yet?

Are you using a File Password?

Review this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• davidm235
    davidm235 Member ✭✭
    Hi @thecreator
    Thanks for the edit! And let's see if I can get all the right stuff in!

OS - Windows 10 Ver 1903 OS Build 18362.657
    Quicken - SubscriptionR25.18 Build 27.1.25.18 US version
    Path to Quicken data file - it is on my D drive under Documents for me. (I moved me from C to D
    Anti-virus: Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium (been using them for years together)

> Are you using any program that wipes out Tracks?
    No idea what Tracks are, so I would say no.

> Have you been checking About Quicken after each Quicken Patch was installed?
    No, not until this last one.

> Have you reinstalled Quicken after activating Quicken, yet?
    Not sure what you mean. It basically felt that Quicken was doing a reinstall of a Windows program. And Quicken came up after that.

> Are you using a File Password?
    Yes.

> Review this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Will try this if problem continues.

Phew! Thanks!!!!
  • davidm235
    davidm235 Member ✭✭
    Hi @thecreator,

> The path for your Quicken Data File is fine, as long as it isn't in a folder that is being constantly backed up, like using One Drive or Dropbox.

Oh, oh! I think that you may have hit the issue!!! A few weeks ago, my computer was acting funny when I shut down, so I finally caused One Drive to backup all of my Documents directory, and that is where I have my Quicken Data File.

I will try to move it and see what happens.

I don't really need it backed up, because I do Quicken Backup frequently to a secure location.

Will report back after I can do the experiment.
  • davidm235
    davidm235 Member ✭✭
    Hi @thecreator

YES! Moving the data file out of One Drive seems to have worked. I have started up Quicken several times now and it has not asked for a reinstall yet. Just goes to the correct data file.

Though it is weird that the first thing Quicken asks for is the Quicken ID now. But if I don't do anything, then my Home screen comes up after I enter my data file password. But that will be another thread, if I decide that I need to find out what is going on.

THANKS!!!!!
  • thecreator
    Hi @davidm235 ,

Updating Build information to Build 18363.720, now the latest.

I assume, once you have activated Quicken with the Activation Code, you never bother to reinstall Quicken. There is a bug on the Quicken Servers for Activating Quicken that only appears for users using a File Password.

Users, who have Activated Quicken with an Activation Code and do not use a File Password, have no problems.

If you want to escape the wait period, you need to reinstall Quicken according to this procedure: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Don't skip a step and you will notice a difference.

Users, who don't reinstall. will need to wait for the Home Screen to appear around 20 secs every time, which adds up.

• davidm235
    davidm235 Member ✭✭
    :) How in the world do you get all this great information! B)

Thanks again. You are correct about how I did the activation and I did set up file password.

I will do the reinstall over the weekend. This week seems like it is already fully booked. Get back to you with the results. Cheers!!!!
  • thecreator
    davidm235 said:
    :) How in the world do you get all this great information! B)

Thanks again. You are correct about how I did the activation and I did set up file password.

I will do the reinstall over the weekend. This week seems like it is already fully booked. Get back to you with the results. Cheers!!!!
    Hi @davidm235 ,

The answer is simple. I had complained about the Annual Privacy Notice that kept showing up, every time I started up Quicken and Quicken Support had no solution. I had been installing the latest version over top the existing installation.. So I bite the bullet and uninstall Quicken completely.

I use Glary Utilities from:  https://www.glarysoft.com/

And Ccleaner Free from:   https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

After uninstalling Quicken, I ran both programs.

The programs have options. Just be sure to review the options, before running.

The information I give, is what I have done and it works. I wrote  it down as I did it.

It works.

If you have questions, ask.

• davidm235
    davidm235 Member ✭✭
    Hi thecreator,
    Got the chance to follow your instructions. The QcleanUI.exe portion has been updated, so followed those instructions. I did have to restart and for some reason do an upgrade when starting Quicken to get the latest build. Even though I did the download from quicken.com. You would think that it would be the latest. Oh, well.

But it seems to be working a bit better. I still wonder why it gives me a log in to Quicken ID screen, but if I just wait a short bit, it brings up my data.

I will keep my fingers crossed to see if this continues to work!! :)

Thanks!
  • davidm235
    davidm235 Member ✭✭
    > @davidm235 said:
    > Hi thecreator,
    > Got the chance to follow your instructions. The QcleanUI.exe portion has been updated, so followed those instructions. I did have to restart and for some reason do an upgrade when starting Quicken to get the latest build. Even though I did the download from quicken.com. You would think that it would be the latest. Oh, well.
    >
    > But it seems to be working a bit better. I still wonder why it gives me a log in to Quicken ID screen, but if I just wait a short bit, it brings up my data.
    >
    > I will keep my fingers crossed to see if this continues to work!! :)
    >
    > Thanks!

Hi @thecreator ,

I don't think that I addressed the previous comment correctly. So here it is again.
  • thecreator
    Hi @davidm235 ,

You wrote:
    > But it seems to be working a bit better. I still wonder why it gives me a log in to Quicken ID screen, but if I just wait a short bit, it brings up my data.

Quicken Subscription Product contains QCleanUi, which fails to clean the Windows Registry, which was why I wrote the instructions, as I did.

Quicken made changes as you saw, and does not allow you the opportunity to use File Explorer.

Did you look under Quicken 2017?

Quicken 2017

First: Download and use QCleanUI

1. Create a new folder on your desktop (right-click on your desktop and select New > Folder).
    2. Click MSICLEAN.exe and save the file to the new folder.
    3. Click QcleanUI.exe and save the file to the SAME new folder. 
    4. In the new folder, double-click QcleanUI.exe.
    Come May 1, 2020, support for Quicken 2017 will cease and that page will change. That's why, I save the downloaded files for use in the future.

You will lose time waiting for the data to appear. It adds up.

This discussion has been closed.