Quicken 2017 Discontinuation Notice [edited]

gousnavy
gousnavy Member ✭✭
I have been using Quicken 2017 home and business for a few years. It has it's quirks but I like it. Now I am being told that it won't work any longer for my banking transactions and that in order to perform banking transaction I must upgrade to a 2020 subscription based product. This constitutes fraud in that I purchased this product in good faith and now they are making it non functional in order to force a subscription based product on people. This is wrong [removed - disruptive/violation of community guidelines]

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You agreed to those conditions when you installed Quicken and agreed to the EULA/Terms of Use.  https://www.quicken.com/support/eula
    Don't say you didn't agree because if you hadn't, Quicken would not have installed.  There is nothing new in this policy, it has been in effect for many years.
    If you didn't read what you were agreeing to, you have only yourself to complain to.  I guess you would have to sue yourself.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• gousnavy
    gousnavy Member ✭✭
    Didn't answer my question. the eula allows them to terminate support not functionality.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again you did not thoroughly read the EULA, see section B.5, shown below.  The link in that section goes into great detail on the topic.
    HINT: Downloading is a Quicken Online Feature

5. QUICKEN DISCONTINUATION POLICY AND TERMINATION OF SUPPORT

In addition to being governed by this Agreement, access and use of the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services are in all cases subject to Quicken's discontinuation policy. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, Quicken reserves the right to discontinue all support for the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, any of their discrete features, or any other features, online and other services or content accessible through the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, at any time and for any reason.

Subject to the foregoing, Quicken expects to provide support through April 30, 2020 for the current version of the Quicken Software and certain features accessible through the current version of the Quicken Software. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the supported versions, services, or program features if necessary due to changes in hardware or software that our products run on, or for other reasons.  More information about QuickenÕs discontinuation policy is available at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVERY year, when a product is Discontinued from support (including downloads) someone threatens to sue. 
    Never happens. 
    No attorney would take your case as it's a matter of you now attempting to invalidate a contract that you've enjoyed the benefits of for 3 years.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Alf1969
    Alf1969 Member ✭✭
    I agree that quicken can discontinue download service if they choose, but their rationale here seems rather lame. On a Mac running Mojave or earlier OS, Quicken2017 runs adequately, so why not just leave it that way. It even runs on newer Catalina OS since it's 64-bit. Eventually, it will not work well on a future macOS so why not just wait until then.
    I bought Quicken 2017 for $36.99 on sale so that's about the same as one year subscription for current version. Cost per year is then about a third of subscription.
    I wonder if there is an alternative worth considering?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alf1969 said:
    … Eventually, it will not work well on a future macOS so why not just wait until then.
    But security protocols at the financial institutions change which would mean that Quicken would have to make changes in the software to accommodate those changes.
    That is unproductive and they have a lot of experience with that having to keep three versions of three different products (US Win, Cdn Win and Mac) upgraded for security.
    That was one of the big reasons they went to subscription Quicken.  Eventually (as in after 4/30/2020) everyone using online banking features will be using only subscription Quicken and they won't have to worry about the security of the older versions.
    Is it priced correctly, depends on who you are.  Folks that upgraded EVERY year are getting a better deal.  Those that only upgraded when online banking features discontinued, it is costing more.
    Don't pursue asking about alternatives on this forum, those sort of posts are not tolerated. 

• bcsteves
    bcsteves Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I don't dispute that they can shut down the downloading capabilities. [removed - disruptive/rant]
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Quicken Community, however, this thread has become argumentative and is being closed.

For more information regarding the Discontinuation of Quicken 2017 and the EULA, please see:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy
    https://www.quicken.com/support/eula/quicken-2017

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.