Where is "Transfer"

Switched from Mac to Windows because of Budget /No Rollover ...
Exported 12 years of Mac thru Export: Windows Transfer appears to work fine
All account totals matched
Need to work out "transfers .."
Issue 1
Windows Quicken does not have a "transfer" register column
Payment from checking account to car loan account by using car loan account in Category field. How do you category the transaction so it appears in spending reports

Mac Quicken: register Category: Auto:Loan Transfer: Car loan account
Money decrease Checking account, Loan Account decrease Category Auto:Loan

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Windows "reuses" the category for transfers and doesn't have a separate one for that purpose.

The way you enter a transfer is to put the "other account name" in brackets like [Other Account Name]. See screenshot.

You can also select the account settings (gear icon) and there is a transfer on that menu, which will bring up a dialog.

Note that this implies that you can't have a transfer and categorize it at the same time like you might be use to in Quicken Mac.

Personally I think the was one of the big mistakes they made When the rewrote Quicken Mac (which was Quicken Essentials). At that time they didn't have linked transfers, just categories. Then people demanded linked transfers and because they couldn't just remove the way people were doing it before they included both. But this leads to the problem that in fact if you have both a category and transfer you have to jump through loops to try to prevent counting the same transaction twice in reports and in budget and such. This is probably one of the reasons that Quicken Mac has yet to allow transfers in the budget.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. I think I have seen a discussion on the conversion from Mac to Windows and because of this different handling of transfers the conversion doesn't try to do real "linked transfers". Instead you will find that your transfers from the Mac data file are just "normal categories". I could be wrong about this, I haven't done it myself.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-categorize-transfer-quicken-windows

Transfers may be included in spending reports.  For example, open the spending report, press Alt + C, select the Advanced tab, Include All in the Transfers: pull-down menu and OK.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    P.S. I think I have seen a discussion on the conversion from Mac to Windows and because of this different handling of transfers the conversion doesn't try to do real "linked transfers". Instead you will find that your transfers from the Mac data file are just "normal categories". I could be wrong about this, I haven't done it myself.

Yes, this has been reported previously - I test run the conversion process (Mac to Win)  periodically just to see if there are any changes in response.

After conversion to QWin, transfers are not linked.
    If one had a category associated with the transfer in QMac, that category is displayed in QWin.
    If there was no category associated with the transfer in QMac, the QWIN category is simply "Transfer" - but no link to the transfer account.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @J_Mike

Thanks!
    Signature:
  • jrthorne
    jrthorne Member ✭✭
    Old Mac Quicken Guy Confused over Windows Category

Acct Chk Balance $5,000
    Acct Car Forester Balance $10,000

Mac Quicken
    Acct Chk Payment for $500 Category Car Loan, Transfer to Car Forester $500, entered 02/01/2020
    Acct Chk now $4,500
    Acct Car Forester shows payment from Chk acct for $500 balance due now $9,500

Report Spending shows Category Car Forester $500

Win Quicken
    Acct Chk Payment for $500 Category [Car Forester]
    Acct Chk now $4,500

Problem:
    How do you get Category Car Loan to appear in reports
    Category Car Loan does not appear in spending or budget report
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    jrthorne said:
    Old Mac Quicken Guy Confused over Windows Category

Acct Chk Balance $5,000
    Acct Car Forester Balance $10,000

Mac Quicken
    Acct Chk Payment for $500 Category Car Loan, Transfer to Car Forester $500, entered 02/01/2020
    Acct Chk now $4,500

Report Spending shows Category Car Forester $500

Win Quicken
    Acct Chk Payment for $500 Category [Car Forester]
    Acct Chk now $4,500

Problem:
    How do you get Category Car Loan to appear in reports
    Category Car Loan does not appear in spending or budget report
    There are a variety of ways to have the transfer to Car Forester be included in a spending or budget report.  For example, to include all transfers, open the spending or budget report, press Alt + C, select the Advanced tab, Include All in the Transfers: pull-down menu and OK.
  • jrthorne
    jrthorne Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the quick reply
    Alt C Include transfers, puts transfers in category spending report as
    transfers
    I am not seeing where I can say the $500 from the bank account to the car loan is category Auto Loan. I am not assigning a category to the transaction using [xxxxx] routine

Auto & Transportation
    Car Wash
    Gas & Fuel
    Car Loan ????
    Service & Parts
    q.jpg 86.4K
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    jrthorne said:
    Thank you for the quick reply
    Alt C Include transfers, puts transfers in category spending report as
    transfers
    I am not seeing where I can say the $500 from the bank account to the car loan is category Auto Loan. I am not assigning a category to the transaction using [xxxxx] routine

Auto & Transportation
    Car Wash
    Gas & Fuel
    Car Loan ????
    Service & Parts
    If you want the category to appear as Car Loan, replace the name of the car account with Car Loan: open the car account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, change the account name to Car Loan, and select OK.

Note: To avoid confusion, if you have an actual Car Loan category, you may want to rename it or, if it is not in use, delete it.

Before making significant changes to a data file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
This discussion has been closed.