Quicken for Mac v5.15 Released

Comments

• R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Updated to 5.15.2. Update seemed to run, but afterward the program did not shut down and reopen as it usually does after an update. As others have noted, if I now search for updates, nothing happens. The "about Quicken" says it is running 5.15.2, but I wonder if that is correct. My "change categories" check box does not stay checked by default, which I thought was one change in 5.15.2.
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Yikes! New 5.15.2 seems to have broken the memorized category fix! I was so happy that my categories were memorized, and now they have regressed to general categories that need to be changed after every download. Help!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    R Strax said:
    Updated to 5.15.2. Update seemed to run, but afterward the program did not shut down and reopen as it usually does after an update. As others have noted, if I now search for updates, nothing happens.
    If you clicked on the update, it would have downloaded first, then popped up a dialog box to quit and install. If Quicken stayed running the entire time, then it didn't install; if Quicken quit, it likely did. 

You can check by going to your Applications folder, clicking on Quicken, and doing File > Get Info. 

It will show the version number. In the unlikely even you have two different versions of the Quicken app in two different places, double-click on the 5.15.2 application icon in the Applications folder to insure that's the version which is launching.

If you updated from version 5.15.1 to 5.15.2, there is nothing in the release notes indicating any change in QuickFill functionality.

I enter transactions manually, but QuickFill appears to be operating as it did previously. If the checkbox is checked, it create a new QuickFill rule, and on the next time entering that payee, the rule is applied as expected. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    > @R Strax said:
    > Yikes! New 5.15.2 seems to have broken the memorized category fix! I was so happy that my categories were memorized, and now they have regressed to general categories that need to be changed after every download. Help!

Can you clarify...Are you saying the categories you have created are not longer in your category list, or are you saying that downloaded transactions are not categorized as you would like? Or something else?
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. The update did download, I did tell it to install, but the program did not close and reopen. Yet when I check file in applications it says I am running 5.15.2. Go figure. Also, when I ask the program to check for updates nothing happens.

Biggest problem in 5.15.2 for me is that transaction memorization no longer seems to be working. It took a long time to fix that bug and it seems broken again. Those of us who download transactions - and that has been the primary draw for me to use Quicken for 20+ years - can spend considerable time correcting the transaction categories when this is broken.
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    I have set up categories that go with certain transactions. I need those categories paired with those transactions so I can find them when needed.

The categories still exist in my category list. I can manually match them up with transactions, but the program needs to match them automatically as it always has in the past. Otherwise I have to manually fix dozens of categories every time I download transactions. This was broken for a while creating a time wasting havoc for me, but finally got fixed. Now it seems broken again in 5.15.2.
  • william
    william Member
    I have just automatically updated my Quicken to v5 15.2. Now everytime I want to put in a new date in the account register it automatically resets to Feb 1982. WHY?
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    Interestingly enough, I also upgraded to 5.15.2 but I am not experiencing the same date issue.

I am having an issue with Wal-Mart transactions. When downloaded, Quicken changes it "Wal-mart" when I have it memorized as "WAL-MART." I change the the payee but it reverts back on the next download of a Wal-Mart transaction. The "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" in preferences is unchecked.
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    > @Shing said:
    > Interestingly enough, I also upgraded to 5.15.2 but I am not experiencing the same date issue.
    >
    > I am having an issue with Wal-Mart transactions. When downloaded, Quicken changes it "Wal-mart" when I have it memorized as "WAL-MART." I change the the payee but it reverts back on the next download of a Wal-Mart transaction. The "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" in preferences is unchecked.

I saw this same behavior with 5.15.1.
  • molashjj
    molashjj Member
    After an update MAC version 5.15.2 I am unable to update any dates in my register. It is defaulting to Jan 1900. I am on macOS 10.15.3
  • jacobs
    william said:
    I have just automatically updated my Quicken to v5 15.2. Now everytime I want to put in a new date in the account register it automatically resets to Feb 1982. WHY?
    @william It's a bug, pure and simple, in this latest update. There are dozens of posts about it on this forum. For the time being, simply type the letter "t" (for "today"), and the calendar will jump to today -- a one-click workaround until they fix it.
  • Ference
    Ference Member ✭✭
    After update for Mac 5.15.2 (Build 515.33015.100)
    New entry pop-up calendar default is Jan 1900.
  • After updating to Version 5.15.2 (Build 515.33015.100)
    using Catalina 10.15.4
    Check for update under the Quicken Menu does nothing , or at least it shows no activity, no window opens, no message that there is no update
    as if not working

How will we update now ?
  • jacobs
    @Gilles  Presumably we will still get the pop-up window informing us there's a new version available, just like in the past. 
  • R Strax
    R Strax Member ✭✭✭
    Since updating to 5.15.2 Quicken Mac seems to insert random categories into my downloaded transactions. It's a shame. The previous version finally got category memorization right. Hope they fix this bug soon and give us an update.
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    Since there is no current way an algorithm can do a better job of categorizing than a human, I hope they keep all “auto” features off by default and give the user the option to enable such features. Another challenge here is to make sure quicken cloud honors these settings (recently I have seen the opposite). Around the time I upgraded to 5.15.1, I saw Quicken cloud change my categories in real time, without me wanting that ‘feature’. Since recently moving to the Mac quicken platform, I have spent many hours trying to fix all the damage that quicken has done to my categories. Seems like only recently they have gotten this problem under control.

So If you want these automated features (auto characterization, auto memorization) please join me in demanding the developers make these default OFF and optionally on by way of user settings.
  • gregd
    gregd Member ✭✭
    Bug...Quicken 5.15.2, MacOS 10.15.4.

When I click in the date field and then click the calendar icon, the default date is Jan 1900. e.g. date in the date is 3/26/20, when I click the calendar icon to change the date, I get 1/1/1900.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    Gilles said:
    After updating to Version 5.15.2 (Build 515.33015.100)
    using Catalina 10.15.4
    Check for update under the Quicken Menu does nothing , or at least it shows no activity, no window opens, no message that there is no update
    as if not working

How will we update now ?
    I saw this too. I sent a report from inside Quicken to support.
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    I noticed the same bugs!!
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    I get the same thing! "Check for Updates..." in the Quicken menu does nothing, no activity, no window opens, no message, nothing. The ellipsis after a menu item is there to indicate that a window/dialog box will open with more information or action. Just another thing broken with version 15.2.2.
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    QMAC 5.15.3 released this evening.

Fixed an issue where QuickFill rules weren't always getting applied to downloaded transactions.
    Fixed a transaction auto-matching issue.
    Fixed a calendar drop-down issue where the year was inexplicably set to 1899 and didn't match the register date field.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    5.15.3 also appears to fix the no-response to the Check for Updates issue, even though that's not mentioned in the release notes.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Alan Lambshead
    Alan Lambshead Member ✭✭
    Re the QuickFill Checkbox
    "We decided that it would be better if the ability to create a QuickFill was always on by default allowing you the ability to uncheck this checkbox without any concern for having to remember to turn this back on the next time you edit a transaction. We felt this is what the majority of customers would want and it was too much work for people to constantly be forced to manage this checkbox."

This may be true but there are some of us who DON'T want to create QuickFills all the time. In the Windows version I used for many years, there was the ability to 'Lock' a Payee so that it did not change the categories that were 'Memorized. This is one of the features that I miss the most in the Mac version. When I make a purchase in one of my favourite stores, say a grocery store, I may want a QuickFill for 'Groceries' but then when I also purchase some other non-grocery items, I don't want Quicken thinking it knows whether I want to save a quick fill or not. I agree having the checkbox is an improvement, but why not give the user control over whether they want the Checkbox Checked by default or not. Or better yet, allow the user to lock the details of a particular transaction to their most-used scenario, and not have to remember to uncheck the box all the time. IMHO the number of times you want to create a QuickFill is very few compared to the number of times you enter a transaction. In the Windows version, you had to 'memorize the Payee to actually get a quick Fill, which is better IMHO.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The QMac product manager has indicated that they are working on a user preference setting to control the QuickFill default for the next release.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    Great news! Hopefully they will have user controls for all auto characterization features when using quicken cloud too!
  • HenryAZ
    HenryAZ Member
    > @smayer97 said:
    > (Quote)
    > I think the model used in QM2007 has always worked well offering flexibility both ways; a master preference to run on/off using QuickFill and if turned on, using the OPT-ENTER to override the behaviour just for the current entry. In QM2007, the OPT-ENTER ONLY works to override if the Automatically add to QuickFill entries is turned on.
    >
    > In new QMac, it does not have to be identical, but based on the new design, I would propose that QMac always remember the last setting and add the OPT-ENTER key-combo to override the behaviour in the opposite manner. So if it is on, turn it off for the one entry, if it is off, turn in on for one entry. This way, no one group has to always have to adjust the settings for every entry. Not sure if QWin has any better approaches but this might address all needs.
    >
    > As for the locking of QuickFill entries...yes that is still a needed addition.

agree with all of this. QuickFill is now making life harder for me, since all of my mobile deposits and Amazon purchases come in quick filled with the last thing I did, inevitably wrong. Q2007 was my favorite treatment of it so far. At least a master preference setting would help.
  • mrfearless47
    mrfearless47 Member ✭✭
    I am trying to grasp the new Quicken Bill Manager, which does not show up as a menu entry anywhere in the latest version. I understand QuickPay, and CheckPay conceptually, but neither work the way I have always used Quicken Bill Pay, or (to age myself) Checkfree. I don't have time to deal with bills all month. I've got them set up so they get scheduled for payment on a single day (24th of the month) and are sent out on or before their due dates the following month. I typically pay off all my bills in full each month, but every once in awhile I will pay less than the full amount if I've had to charge a significant amount. I don't see a way in the new Bill Manager to schedule payments manually. About two thirds of my payments are made by direct payment; the remaining third require physical checks. Since my only real use for Quicken any more is to pay bills, I'm trying to figure out what the advantage is to the new system if it changes the entire way I work and makes my life more difficult rather than easier.

What am I missing.
  • jacobs
    @mrfearless47  What you're missing is the this is the first release of a new payment system, and it doesn't yet have all the features people are used to/need. Quicken was under a deadline of an expiring contract with the previous Quicken Bill Pay provider (Metavante), and they wanted to get users to start migrating to their new bill payment systems with plenty of notice. One of the key features that's missing from this release is the ability to schedule payments for a future date. The product manager has acknowledged that they know many people need this, and that the functionality is under development.

In the meantime, you can set up your Payees under the new system. You can try making a few payments to get the feel of it. And then you can continue using it by initiating payments when you want, or continue using the existing Quicken Bill Pay until they release the ability to schedule future bill payments on the new QuickPay and CheckPay.

The old Quicken Bill Pay was originally supposed to go away at the end of May, but Quicken and Metavante agreed to extend that termination for an additional 3 months due to the current craziness of our world.
  • mrfearless47
    mrfearless47 Member ✭✭
    So. Is the ability to schedule bills going to be added before the current Bill Pay dies at the end of August? Otherwise the new system is useless to me. I don’t have the luxury of making ad hoc bill payment. I have to be able to schedule as I travel about 6 months of the year (obviously not at the moment), often to places that have no to limited access to wifi or any other type of internet service. Some don’t even have adequate cell service.
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Premier 5.15.3 says I am using the most current version. HOW do I upgrade then?
This discussion has been closed.