Restoring Quicken 2020 to an earlier Backup

I am having some problems with the current Quicken file, and would like to restore to an earlier backup. What is the procedure for doing this?

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @drogers211 ,

As long as your have Manual Backups with Date, just go to
    File
    Backup and Restore
    Restore from Backup File
    Dot Restore from your Backup.
    Browse to the location of your Manual Backup.
    Highlight the Name and click Open.
    Click Restore Backup.
    You have a choice to Overwrite existing file or Create a Copy.
    Click Restore Backup.

That's it.

If you create a copy, and it looks fine, you can go back to the old file and repeat and choose to Overwrite the existing file, instead.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    File>Backup and Restore>Restore from Backup file.
    In the popup that comes up, select which type of file you want restore ("automatic" or "your (manual) backup". 
    • If you have automatic backups set up you will see the list of backup files that have been saved.  Select the file you wish to restore.  (You can identify the date and time of the file in the 2nd half of the backup file name.)
    • If you wish to restore a manual backup file you might need to browse to where the file is stored to select it.
    Then click "Restore Backup" and then select how you want the file restored (overwrite or create a copy).  You will then be given the opportunity to decide where you want the file saved and how you want it to be named.  I recommend creating a copy, saving it in the same folder as your current file and then giving it a new name.  This way you still have your original file just in case you end up needing it for something.

Then click "Save" and you're done.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• drogers211
    drogers211 Member ✭✭
    I have done what you both suggested, several times, before posting this question. What happens when I click to Restore, I receive the message: "Quicken can't restore this file because it's currently in use." Note: the file I am trying to restore is more than two weeks old.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is the Quicken data file (where you are restoring to) in a "cloud folder" like OneDrive or Dropbox?

If so you will get this kind of error because when these programs see the data file change they will try to lock it to be able to back it up. Preventing Quicken from writing to it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try saving the backup file you are trying to restore with a different name.  For instance, if the original file is "Quicken Data.qdf", maybe change it to "Quicken Data-1.qdf".  That should avoid any such conflict.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done what you both suggested, several times, before posting this question. What happens when I click to Restore, I receive the message: "Quicken can't restore this file because it's currently in use." Note: the file I am trying to restore is more than two weeks old.
    Hi @drogers211 ,

Please post back the complete paths to both the Data File and the Manual Backup Data File.

Example:

G:\My Documents\Quicken

Z:\Quicken Backup\Creator's Quicken Data-2020-03-31.QDF-backup

Also, what Anti-Virus program is being used, besides Windows?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.