Quicken Premier 2020 - moving to new PC

Options
I have this running on a Windows 7 PC and am getting ready to buy a Dell Window 10 all-in-one PC. How do I go about moving the actual program to the new PC and how do I move the current data file to the new PC (which is probably huge as I haven’t been diligent about breaking it down periodically.

Probably a question to answer first - can I take my existing data file and make it into smaller data files by calendar year and then move only my current year to the new PC and back up the older data files?

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You don't MOVE the program, you log into Quicken.com MyAccount and download the installer, then execute the installation program you downloaded.
    Make a backup of your Quicken data file to a thumbdrive and tell the new installation that you have a backup.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    To install Quicken on the new computer, I suggest you download and open: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe

Don't forget to copy the data file from the old machine to a folder on an internal drive on the new machine.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You don't MOVE the program, you log into Quicken.com MyAccount and download the installer, then execute the installation program you downloaded.
    Make a backup of your Quicken data file to a thumbdrive and tell the new installation that you have a backup.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    To install Quicken on the new computer, I suggest you download and open: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe

Don't forget to copy the data file from the old machine to a folder on an internal drive on the new machine.
  • kkglass
    kkglass Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kkglass said:
    I have this running on a Windows 7 PC and am getting ready to buy a Dell Window 10 all-in-one PC. How do I go about moving the actual program to the new PC and how do I move the current data file to the new PC (which is probably huge as I haven’t been diligent about breaking it down periodically.

Probably a question to answer first - can I take my existing data file and make it into smaller data files by calendar year and then move only my current year to the new PC and back up the older data files?

About "making it into a smaller data file" ...
    I'd rather you took the entire Quicken data file and moved it to the new PC. Unless you're an active day trader performing many investment transactions per day or have bank account registers or investment account registers with greater than 15,000 transactions per register, there is, IMHO, really no need to split your data file into Year End archive files.
    If you decide to do so, I recommend you keep 4 - 5 years of transaction history in your active (current) Quicken data file and create an archive file with the complete history, up till today.
    For more information please visit Quicken Help and read up on "Year End Copy" before you begin to try this process. Keep several backups of your data file, just in case something were to go wrong or you don't like the results.
This discussion has been closed.