Getting Quicken to start up.... Very SLOW

trk
trk Member ✭✭
When I click on the icon to start Quicken, it takes 30 seconds before the cursor starts to blink inside the passcode dialog box. After I enter the passcode and press the icon to enter it, it takes 3 min and 20 secs before any of the icons on the Quicken page are usable. No other apps act like this FYI. This started about 5 days ago. What's going on with that? Any help appreciated.

Quicken Deluxe
Version: R25.21
Build: 27.1.25.21

Thnx,

Larry

Answers

• Quicken_Julio
    Quicken_Julio Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta mod
    edited March 2020
    Hi @trk,

Thanks for taking the time to post in our Community.

Thank you for providing the Version & Build.

I would like to gather some more information to better assist you:

I see you're Quicken is on the most recent Version but have you had any recent updates to your computer?

How long have you had this specific File for? File age can sometimes play a part if experiencing latency.

Try validating your file:
    Go to File > File Operations > Copy (do not choose Year End Copy for this procedure).
    Leave all the settings, including file name and checkboxes, at their default (change nothing on this screen). Simply click OK.
    After the Copy is complete, choose to Open New Copy
    In the new Copy go to File > File Operations > Validate and Repair
    Check the bock next to Validate file.

Click OK.

After the Validation process is finished, you will see the Data_Log appear in a Notepad window. This file is a summary of the Validation results.
    Review the Data_Log.txt for messages pertaining to the quality of your data and resolve any that are advised with instructions you should follow.

You can always refer back to these steps here.

If the issue persists, contact Quicken Support for additional troubleshooting.
    Best,
    JV
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @trk,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

I am adding this comment, because while you have given information on Quicken, you have posted no information on your operating system, itself.

What type of Hard Drive are you using? SATA Hard Drive or a Solid-State Hard Drive?

Solid-State Hard Drive never get defragmented.

Regular SATA Hard Drives and IDE Hard Drives should be defragmented to speed up operation.

Are you running with Task Manager Icon in the notification area to monitor CPU Usage?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• trk
    trk Member ✭✭
    Windows 10 Pro
    Solid state hard drive
    CPU running at 25%
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @trk

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I am sorry about the late response. 

If you're still having these issues I just have a couple of questions, do you think that these issues starting happening at about the time you updated to the latest update? Does the program have any issues after it does open? How big is your file as well? 

I'm wondering if it might have to do with the latest update but I'm not entirely sure yet. 

If you wouldn't mind could you try mondo patching to a previous patch and seeing if quicken still remains 

The patch can be found here if you do decide to do it. You'll be wanting Patch R25.18

Please let me know if this does help with the issues.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• trk
    trk Member ✭✭
    Francisco, app works fine after finally loading. File size is 800MB. Possibly could have started after last update. That's it. Thnx.
  • trk
    trk Member ✭✭
    Hey Francisco,

What about just uninstalling and reinstalling the app? Or would that cause more problems? Thnx.

BTW, I answered you previous questions and posted.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @trk

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

Have you moved forward with either applying the patch or uninstalling and reinstalling the application?

If so, are you still experiencing slow startup when opening Quicken?

Please let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • trk
    trk Member ✭✭
    Did both. Still the same. Thnx.
  • RAF470
    RAF470 Member ✭✭
    All things Quicken have been VERY slow for several days. Startup takes 2-3 minutes or more. Sometimes hangs up and "Not Responding". Bank downloads take the same. Have validated the file: No Errors reported. Nothing else on my computer has been slow. Quicken Deluxe, R25.18, Build 27.1.25.18.
  • Chuck Podrasky
    Chuck Podrasky Member ✭✭
    Same issue here. Quicken has been EXTREMELY slow with the latest release: version - R25.21, Build - 27.1.25.21
  • LindaAlaska
    LindaAlaska Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken version 27.1.25.21 It suddenly became very slow. I defragged my computer, freed up space in case that was slowing things down, uninstalled and now trying to reinstall. It is still very slow coming up and now will not accept my password. I am running Windows 10 with a Quicken subscription. I have work to do and can't do it because of this.
  • LindaAlaska
    LindaAlaska Member ✭✭
    What patch? It helps if you put a link.
  • Toi
    Toi Member ✭✭
    Same issue here with very slow startup time. Details:
    Quicken Deluxe: version 26.17; Build 27.1.26.17
    Windows 10
    SSD
    Quicken QDF file size is 36MB
  • Toi
    Toi Member ✭✭
    More than 3 minutes from entering login information to seeing Home view). Sometimes the app just hangs and requires the app to be force killed and restarted. Also tried uninstall/re-installing app with no luck.

CPU resources are running at 25% and still have over 70% of memory left.

Validation results:
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
    Analyzing securities.
    Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 2/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Quicken Deluxe: version 26.17; Build 27.1.26.17
    Windows 10
    SSD
    Quicken QDF file size is 36MB
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toi said:
    More than 3 minutes from entering login information to seeing Home view). Sometimes the app just hangs and requires the app to be force killed and restarted. Also tried uninstall/re-installing app with no luck.

CPU resources are running at 25% and still have over 70% of memory left.

Please be patient. Killing Quicken can do more harm to your data file than good and may render the data file unusable.

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's start with some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Toi
    Toi Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Rebooting after re-install solved the issue for me, for now. Will continue to monitor. The issue with the "quicken-id login screen popping up at startup" as reported on multiple threads here still remains.
This discussion has been closed.