Corrupted Custom categories & sub categories when updated to 5.15.1

Options
I had created numerous custom categories with an *. For example *Supplies . By adding the * I was able to keep all of my preferred categories at the top of the pulldown menu. Everything was fine with ver 5.15 but 5.15.1 destroyed all of those eliminating the * and adding all sorts of alphanumeric garbage to sub categories. Fortunately I was able to restore the older Quicken app and data file from my backup drive. The last time an update destroyed categories it changed all my transactions to "Uncategorized".

Any thoughts?
Robert

Best Answer

Answers

• noload
    noload Member ✭✭
    Options
    It looks like Quicken needs to take the 5.15.1 Mac update off the market before they have a total disaster on their hands. 5.15 worked for me but 5.15.1 destroyed my custom categories. It was so bad I reinstalled the 5.14.3 version and used the previous data file. Hoping they fix this pronto.
  • noload
    noload Member ✭✭
    Options
    I would hold off on updating because it will skip over 5.15 and automatically update to 5.15.1 which is a disaster.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I can't say if the * is a reserved special character and is causing your issues. But, the usual culprit for categories becoming mangled or transactions becoming uncategorized results from Mobile sync issues. I suspect that is more the likely cause than the application update-especially since this has happened in the past.

If it were I, I would restore from a known healthy backup. Then, and before you attempt any transaction update or sync, I would go to Preferences:Connected Services and choose to reset cloud data:

This won't alter your desktop data, but will restore a fresh copy of uploaded data (and categories) to the Cloud. After a reset, give it a few minutes and then try a transaction update/sync and see how your categories look.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @noload I haven't found any oddities in my custom categories after updating several files to 5.15.1 on three different computers. And I haven't seen any wave of other people posting about the same problem with categories. It's always possible there's something specific to your data file, or even something that glitched during your update. 

If you have time, I'd suggest trying the update again to see if the same problem occurs. (If so, you can quickly jump back to the 5.14.3 app and your current data file.) That would at least rule out the one-time glitch possibility.

@Lynette Jacobi I haven't heard of anything like what you describe before. Can you post a screen shot (without any personal details) to illustrate what you describe?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Options
    @noload As I wrote in one of the other threads where you posted this message, this release hasn't been a "disaster" for others who have uploaded. I understand you had a major problem, but it could have been a one-time thing, or something unique in a category in your file. Since it's not a widespread issue, you may want to try repeating the process to see if it happens again, and if not, contacting Quicken Support, because they may need to see it happen and may need to see your data file to help them isolate whatever problem you've run into.
  • noload
    noload Member ✭✭
    Options
    John,
    Thank you for the detailed comment.
    I am strictly a desktop user, only connecting to the web for transaction downloads and version updates. No mobil or cloud for me. I have been using the "*" since the early days of Q2007. It has it has made it through all the conversions and updates until being shredded by 5.15.1.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @noload , Just checking... you yourself are not using mobile or web, but in Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts is the Sync switched off?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • noload
    noload Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you
    I had created numerous custom categories with an *. For example *Supplies . By adding the * I was able to keep all of my preferred categories at the top of the pulldown menu. Everything was fine with ver 5.15 but 5.15.1 destroyed all of those eliminating the * and adding all sorts of alphanumeric garbage to sub categories. Fortunately I was able to restore the older Quicken app and data file from my backup drive. The last time an update destroyed categories it changed all my transactions to "Uncategorized".

I have been using the "*" since the early days of Q2007. It has it has made it through all the conversions and updates until being shredded by 5.15.1.

If I do try updating again with no success I will attach some screenshots.
  • Lynette Jacobi
    Lynette Jacobi Member ✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs Can I just go to "Quicken...File...restore from backup" to get back to the last good version I was using? I've never had to do a restore before so I'm not sure how to go about it. I hope this screenshot helps you see my problem. And I see that one item was correctly listed as a payment.
  • jacobs
    Options
    To answer your question: yes you can either do it by using File > Restore from Backup, or you can double-click on the backup file and it should de-compress and launch Quicken.

In your screenshot, this appears to be a checking account; in the real world, is this a checking account or a credit card account? What happens if you manually edit those transactions to be in the correct column. Do the next transactions you enter or download come in correctly?
  • Bucket
    Bucket Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem as "no load" member at the beginning of this thread. I renewed my subscription but downgraded to Deluxe in Feb 2020. All my parent categories have come in as garbage alpha numeric. I restored to a previous backup hoping this would fix the problem but once I update the bank and credit card activity, all parent categories are alpha numeric garbage as well as uncategorized transactions. the uncategorized transactions came about after getting support from Quicken to install the mobile app. I am on version 5.15.3 This is frustrating.
  • JWB
    JWB Member
    Options
    My mac running macOS 10.15.4 running Quicken Mac Premiere 2020 was perfect until I upgraded to new 5.15.3. Now my categories are not working correctly--they were replaced by alphanumeric codes. I went on support Chat and was told to try an older file. When I did so, the file had my old (correct) categories, but when I backed up the file and then re-opened it again, the categories had again been replaced.
  • JWB
    JWB Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, John. This seemed to work so far--really appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.