Blank White Screen When Opening Quicken 2020

This discussion was created from comments split from: Having trouble with one-step update (updated title).

Comments

• David Minches
    David Minches Member ✭✭
    When I open Quicken (2020 subscription) now I see the register for a minute and then a large white dialog box opens and covers just about the entire screen. It asks me if I want to sign on with a different Quicken ID and just hangs. I can't get past this screen. This is a disaster.
  • claquato
    claquato Member ✭✭
    Amen, brother. This problem has plagued me for nearly a year. No resolution yet. Hope they fix it someday. For now, I've paid for a year of worthless software.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I open Quicken (2020 subscription) now I see the register for a minute and then a large white dialog box opens and covers just about the entire screen. It asks me if I want to sign on with a different Quicken ID and just hangs. I can't get past this screen. This is a disaster.

Hi @""David Minches" ,

See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-or-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions/p1?new=1

You are probably using a File Password. Bug on Quicken Activation Servers requires a restart of Quicken, using a Clean Install to fix. Or remove the File Password and use Quicken without a File Password to avoid the delay without having to reinstall.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Didger
    Didger Member
    This is all very well.
    Quicken worked for about a week now I am back to the "white screen" when I start the program.
    All the suggestions assume that you can start Quicken to modify/uninstall/backup etc !!! Very frustrating, so far a totally unreliable program!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Didger

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • linnknee
    linnknee Member
    I have been using quicken for over 20 years and I started having the Blank White Screen issues last week. I have been online with quicken support and finally, they told me I should bring my computer to geek squad or a technical person they have tried all the various techniques listed here. I did get the data file to load on an older laptop which is slower however I just am flabbergasted by this problem. For the last couple of years, I believe the syncing to the web has been iffy. Also, I think the program has been added to and added to over like I said about 20 years I'm not sure it is carrying lots of baggage needlessly. I ran all kinds of repair programs on my computer hard drive as well as the windows system files. My laptop is working good and I have no issues with any other installed programs. Thanks for listening.
  • thecreator
    Hi @linnknee ,

Turn off Mouse Smart Move.
    Bug in routine with Smart Move Enabled, slows Quicken loading the Data File.

Also see this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

• levinro
    levinro Member ✭✭
    I just upgraded from Q 2017 to 2020 and experienced the same where the screen comes up as normal and then quickly blanks out with the white dialog, or sometimes a sign in dialog where my credentials get rejected or sometimes where the same credentials get accepted. It seems best to kill quicken and restart until it eventually works. I reached out to quicken online chat and received no useful help there. I guess in this world of uncertainty, the one thing we can count on for consistency over the years is that Quicken quality of service has been, is and will continue to be poor.
  • thecreator
    Hi @levinro ,

Reinstall Quicken Subscription according to this procedure.  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Do not skip steps.

• claquato
    claquato Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the many suggestions.

1) no password on the file
    2) File is located on the hard drive and not in any cloud-related folder
    3) I spent over 3 hours on support with Quicken, no solution found
    4) During support call, uninstalled, cleaned registry and manually deleted files/folders from hard drive.
    5) I've installed older versions.
    6) I've installed the latest version
    7) I completely uninstalled anti-virus, VPN, firewall and other similar protection measures

ALL TO NO AVAIL!!!

Bottom line: the login window still does not work. What is it in the programming that could be blocking such a simple operation?

I've been using Quicken since the 1990s. I love this program! It's been broken for about a year. Every now and then it seems to magically fix and then the same problem occurs.

I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on tech support to not have fixed the problems with this program. Is it not the creators' job to fix a broken program?

If you can't fix it. And, professional tech support can't fix it. Then it seems unreasonable to expect the average user to fix it with the panoply of suggestions offered in the forum. And, why should we who are paying annual subscriptions now, have to pay a 3rd party to fix the program operations?

Again, I'm a devout Quicken fan. I simply want it to work. Is that too much to ask?
This discussion has been closed.