trying to transfer 2016 from one computer to another without sign in / registration

been using 2016 on one computer need to move it to another but the quicken install won't work as it is looking for a sign in / registration

Best Answer

Answers

• dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    However it will not download as it says "quicken is not installed on this machins."
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dgeisel said:
    However it will not download as it says "quicken is not installed on this machins."
    I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install Quicken 2016 while disconnected from the internet, and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review and follow the Quicken 2017 guidance:  https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken   To update, I suggest you download and apply the Quicken 2016 Release R19.5 Mondo patch: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    Have the files, thank you. However, qcleanul will not run as it is looking for MSICLEAN32.exe which I cannot find ....
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dgeisel said:
    Have the files, thank you. However, qcleanul will not run as it is looking for MSICLEAN32.exe which I cannot find ....
    Sounds like you skipped step #4.
  • dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    No actually had backed up data (althoughno files at this time to backup), uninstalled quicken 2016, created new folder, inserted msiclean.exein new folder, then inserted qcleanui.exe in same folder and executed qcleanui ... hit run, asked if I wanted to allow to changes to my computer which I said yes, then receive cleaning error box stating it requires msiclean32.exe ....
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dgeisel said:
    No actually had backed up data (althoughno files at this time to backup), uninstalled quicken 2016, created new folder, inserted msiclean.exein new folder, then inserted qcleanui.exe in same folder and executed qcleanui ... hit run, asked if I wanted to allow to changes to my computer which I said yes, then receive cleaning error box stating it requires msiclean32.exe ....
    So you are saying you inadvertently changed the name of the downloaded file when you performed step #4.
  • dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    No that's my typing. The files were inserted to the folders how they came off internet/email
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dgeisel said:
    No that's my typing. The files were inserted to the folders how they came off internet/email
    Which browser did you use?  When we click on a hyper link, the browser should use the href's url for the name of the file we download.
  • dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    Google chrome but I can try it with internet explorer...
  • dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    No matter how I do it, whether dragging or clicking on it to save as opposed to executing, the file saves with (1) at the end. If you save multiple times the number in the ( ) increases. There's a space btwn the name & (#).
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dgeisel said:
    Hi @dgeisel ,

Both QcleanUi and Msiclean32 must be located in the same Desktop Sub-folder to work. Those two files, must be in the folder alone.

See this procedure: 

Hi All,

This is for all versions of Quicken 2016 for Windows not just Deluxe.

Open Quicken. Go to File > Backup and Restore > Backup your Quicken Data File(s) before starting.

Firefox 32-Bit from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Waterfox 64-Bit from here: https://www.waterfox.net/

Create a New Folder on the Desktop. Rename the Folder, New Briefcase, which can be done in Windows 10, too. Always rename a New Folder, because when you create New Folders within any folder and don't rename Folders, Windows names the folders, New Folder, New Folder (2) and so on. You won't be able to find anything without renaming New Folders.

Once you have done that, start Firefox or Waterfox and go into Tools then click Options. On the General Tab, find  Downloads, then Under Downloads see Save files to:. Click on the Browse Button. Click Desktop then click on New Briefcase. Saves you the trouble of having to tell where to Save the Downloads to and makes the downloads, easier to find, right on the Desktop..

I am assuming that you already have the Installation Program for Quicken 2016 Flavors.

Close Quicken. Do not uninstall it.

Re-open Firefox or Waterfox and click on the link below for downloading QCleanUI.exe

Download QcleanUI.exe from this link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000

Left-click on QCleanUI.exe to start the Download and click Save. Left-click on MSIClean.exe to start the Download and click Save.
    Create a new sub-folder of Briefcase Folder and name it QClean. Move both QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean.exe into QClean. Now simply open QClean. Right-click on QCleanUI.exe  and left-click Run as administrator. Choose to Clean All Versions. Do not use Programs and Features to uninstall your Quicken Program.

Use Programs and Features to remove iSeek AnswerWorks English Runtime, which Quicken installs.

Restart the computer. After the computer restarts, use Explorer to delete / no need to rename the following folders: (Except if you also have other Intuit Products installed, expand those folders and delete the Quicken folders, only.)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AnswerWorks 5.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken

C:\ProgramData\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit_Inc

Empty the following folders, with the exception of Files in use:

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Windows\Temp

Run Disk Cleanup.

Don't download the Installer again if you already have it.

Download CCleaner Free from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Once you have CCleaner Free installed, run the Cleaner portion first.
    Analyze first and Run Cleaner.
    Click Registry on the Left.
    Scan for Issues.
    Fix selected Issues. Then Run it again because on x64 Bit Installations, it doesn't fix all on the first pass.

Right-click on the Quicken Program Installer and click Run as administrator.

Once the program is installed a Window will Popup concerning Program Updates click Cancel.

Restart the computer.

Open your browser.

Go to: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Scroll down to Quicken 2016 and download the following Mondo Patches:
    R8 Mondo, R12 Mondo and finally R19.5 Mondo.

Once downloaded, install Mondo Patch R8, R12 and finally in order R19.5

Once Mondo Patch R16.1 is installed, you can then open Quicken, but do not launch Quicken until Mondo Patch R 19.5.

Until April 30, 2019, you can finish upgrading using the Check for Updates under Help, once you have Quicken registered.

See this Article for the reason you need to apply the Mondo Patches in Steps:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7571578/resolution-quicken-for-windows-2016-wont-open-after-installing-and-updating-to-the-latest-patch
    "

First, a big THANKS to QPW for first identifying a solution for this issue!

Some users are reporting that after installing and updating Quicken for Windows 2016, then updating to the latest patch, they are unable to open Quicken. This issue occurs because older versions of Quicken require an intermediary patch in order to update to the latest release.

To resolve this issue:
    1. Uninstall and reinstall Quicken 2016.
    2. Download the Release 8 Mondo Patch here.
    3. After downloading and installing the Release 8 patch, download the Release 12 Mondo Patch here.
    You should now be able to open and use Quicken as expected.

If you have any issues during this process, please contact Quicken Support.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator"

Now click on Quicken to Open Quicken. It will not find any Quicken Data Files, because it doesn't know where to look. Choose to Restore a Backup Quicken Data File. Let Quicken Convert it, before using One Step Update.

When you go to Register the program again, be sure to click Already have an Quicken ID.

You need to complete the Survey portion of the Registration, in order for Next to become clickable.

Before using One Step Update, check your Converted Quicken Data File.

Note 1: You do not need the previous version of Quicken installed to reinstall and convert any Quicken Data Folder. When you restore an older Backup, Quicken will convert the Data File after restoring it, as long as it isn't too old.

Note 2: Each Quicken Data File gets registered, including existing Quicken Data Files.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    dgeisel said:
    No matter how I do it, whether dragging or clicking on it to save as opposed to executing, the file saves with (1) at the end. If you save multiple times the number in the ( ) increases. There's a space btwn the name & (#).
    You appear to have missed the point.  The file name in the URL is: MSIClean32.exe  You have said the name of the file you obtained when you clicked on the link is: msiclean.exe.  I'm not able to reproduce the behavior you reported using Google chrome.
  • dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    No maybe I wasn't clear the file begins as msiclean32.exe but when saved in the newly created folder it becomes msiclean32 (1).exe. With each attempt the (1) increases by 1 to (2) .. (3) and so on. I even tried eliminating the "(1)" manually to in effect rename the file however qcleanui.exe when executed continues to look for msiclean32.exe
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

OK for whatever reason msiclean32.exe isn't running.  What I suggest is that you do everything else that @thecreator suggests in his comment the ccleaner should do some of the same things that msiclean32.exe was suppose to do.  And most important is to delete those folders that he points out.

Hopefully that will get you fixed up.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    Ok thanks I'll try that after work today.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dgeisel said:
    No maybe I wasn't clear the file begins as msiclean32.exe but when saved in the newly created folder it becomes msiclean32 (1).exe. With each attempt the (1) increases by 1 to (2) .. (3) and so on. I even tried eliminating the "(1)" manually to in effect rename the file however qcleanui.exe when executed continues to look for msiclean32.exe
    This is what you said:
    dgeisel said:
    QcleanUI.exe expects to find MSIClean32.exe in the same folder QcleanUI.exe is started in:

• dgeisel
    dgeisel Member
    Well I want to thank everyone for their assistance however I'm giving up. After trying everything suggested nothing seems to work. Finally got the cleaner to work. Tried a different browser. Tried with shutting down the internet. Tried so many things I can't even remember them all. Ultimately I believe when loading the program the initial screen to begin the installation has two boxes checked - some saying implying are you ready to install & do you want to contact quicken to update - you don't have the ability to check out of the update. And even if I install without the internet once I fire it up I believe it heads home to quicken because it wants me to register the product. So as I said thanks for everyone input but it seems a lost cause!
This discussion has been closed.