Can't change category in an investment entry

When I bring up the transaction in my investment account, the category option is grayed out. I'm simply try to assign it to the "interest income" category.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    When I bring up the transaction in my investment account, the category option is grayed out. I'm simply try to assign it to the "interest income" category.

Type in the amount in the Miscellaneous field instead of the Interest field, and the category field will be enabled.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• drweisinger
    drweisinger Member ✭✭
    thanks for your input. Sounds like the right justification, but doesn't solve my problem. It auto assigns the CD interest as "_Intinc". I prefer the more descriptive category of "Interest Income", but can't make the change. Interesting, when I try to "find and replace" it does not find any, but when I "find all", it successfully finds all entries with the description of "Wells Fargo". Frustrating. thanks for your further comments.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Type in the amount in the Miscellaneous field instead of the Interest field, and the category field will be enabled.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • drweisinger
    drweisinger Member ✭✭
    Chris and Sherlock were both correct. Changed to Misc from Interest and category is now available to change. However, this is a recurring deposit and I guess it will always default to "interest" and not Misc and thus will again be _Intinc" next month If there are no other workarounds, looks like I better just be happy with _Intinc and have 2 different categories with the same purpose. I like to consolidate and be efficient. Need to get over my perfectionist illness ... considering how the world is operating these days. Any, thanks for quick and accurate input gentlemen (unless one of you are ladies?)
  • JayDC
    JayDC Member ✭✭✭
    This is a confusing and frustrating issue. I have tried to get an answer to no avail and have searched the community responses. In regard to Interest Income, specifically, I had an account Income:Interest (as well as NT (not taxable) Income set up in Q07. It imported to Q20 and in some cases it left the transaction as it was and in others changed it to Investments:Interest Income. Now, when I import from Merrill Lynch, it puts it labels it Type-Interest Income, Security/Payee-ML Bank Deposit Program and Description/Category - Investments:Interest Income. I notice that there is another option at the top of the Quicken built-in categories, which is Income:•Int Income. The problem, is that now have interest spread over two categories, if not three. I have found that you cannot change a previously recorded Income:Interest transaction to Investments:Interest Income. This latter category is a "required" transaction according to Quicken. Can't delete it and can't seem to add to it manually or modify other transactions to move to this category. Merge does not work. There must be something I am misunderstanding about this.
This discussion has been closed.