Step By Step Installation Instructions

martylaz2
martylaz2 Member ✭✭
Are there a step by step instructions available for updating Quicken Home and Business to 2020 from 2017?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @thecreator,
    Hi again! The prior thread we conversed on was closed and this seems to be the closest thread that matches my question. I am updating my Premiere 2017 to my first subscription Premiere version. Boy threads get closed fast.....

You gave great advice to use the CD to activate the subscription and then download from Quicken.com to install/upgrade.

When I stuck the CD in, my only 2 prompts were "Uninstall....you can only have one version" or "Install and Update". Even those options are not clear, I want to uninstall AND upgrade! Or I want to uninstall myself per your FAQ and then Upgrade and keep my settings. What does each option really do? Shouldn't one option be Uninstall and upgrade as you can only have one version? And the other "This is my first install ever"?

As I am helping another much less tech savvy person upgrade from 2017 from offsite, they just want to install the old way and let the upgrade program uninstall. That that is safest for them.... So what option should they choose?

I may manually uninstall 2017.... So not sure what option to use either.

There was no option to just get the subscription number which is what I was trying to do.... What option allows me to use the CD to just activate the subscription?

Or, can I just forget the CD, go to the Quicken website, put the activation key off the box somewhere, and activate right on the website and download the install program from there?

And then....assuming I get the same two options when I run that install program, which options do we each pick?
    :)

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I only have to do this every few years and like to do it right...
    Thanks,

@BJB
  • BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    I did some more searching on this and on the Quicken FAQ for installing from a CD or Download it lists 2 install options. "Install" or "Update". It does not present the options that I got when I inserted the CD.... "Uninstall....you can only have one version" or "Install and Update".

@BJB
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @BJB ,

Do you currently have Quicken Subscription installed?

If you do, then simply click Help. in the installed version, then click Enter Activation Code.

You do not need to install Quicken again, and especially from a CD.

See my response in this thread:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7873514/quick-subscription-assoc-with-different-quicken-id-than-q2017#latest

If you still have Quicken 2017 installed, use this procedure, but do not reinstall:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7731283/installing-reinstalling-and-upgrading-to-windows-quicken-2017-versions-procedural-adjustment

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @thecreator,
    No I do not currently have my subscription installed yet, just 2017. I have a good Quicken login and password that I use with Q2017 and no cross-subscription issue as I have a subscription CD with an activation code. I was trying to follow your good advice here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20054815#Comment_20054815

Which was to use the CD just to try to *activate* the subscription (not install), then download the install program and install that.

But when I put in the CD, I got the two options above, "Uninstall....you can only have one version" or "Install and Update". No Activate option came up.

Reading this post above:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7873514/quick-subscription-assoc-with-different-quicken-id-than-q2017#latest

It seems to say to install the download and then activate it when it pops up which is different.

So do I:

1) activate via the CD and if so, what option do I choose as noted above
    2) Activate the code from my CD jacket on the Quicken website (from within my current Quicken login) before installing and then download and install. And what install option do I then choose.
    3) Per the linked post above, go to activate on the website, say I am a new member, and then download, install, and then activate once running on the PC. Since I do not have a quicken ID or email issue not sure if that applies to me?

Thanks again for all your help,
    @BJB
  • thecreator
    Hi @BJB ,

I do not like to use the newest version to uninstall the previous version.of Quicken.

That's one of the reasons I wrote up exactly what I do.

Now this is upgrading, that I am talking about. I am not talking about Quicken Patches. I let Quicken do its thing. I do not use the Mondo Patch. If a Mondo Patch is needed, then I would rather uninstall and reinstall according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Use this procedure to uninstall Quicken 2017:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7731283/installing-reinstalling-and-upgrading-to-windows-quicken-2017-versions-procedural-adjustment

Once Quicken 2017 is uninstall and you ran CCleaner Free go to:  https://www.quicken.com/activate

Click on I'm a new Quicken member. Now click Download for Windows. Save it.

Close the Browser. Right-click on the Download and click Run as administrator to install it.

Once installed, choose I'm upgrading and choose to Restore the Manual Backup.

Once restored, you will be given the Activation Screen. Enter the Activation Code that comes with the CD.

Are you going to be using a Data File Password?

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @thecreator,
    Thanks! That is a wonderful install script.

I do not now and do not plan to use a data file password. I have never used mobile but may depending on any improvements.

When I run the downloaded install program and run it and am presented with install options (while installing not when I first run it), which option do I choose? Will they be the fuzzy options I got on the CD install or more precise?

When I uninstall manually and use CC cleaner, I believe I recall that I do not lose any settings, preferences, bank direct connections, or any other items? Is that accurate? I have snipped my current program settings but curious. I just want to make sure my clean install picks up all those settings, etc. just like an upgrade install. Perhaps everything is in the data file so it does not matter...

Thanks,
    @BJB
  • thecreator
    Hi @BJB ,

Everything is in the Data File. The only thing you need to tell Quicken, when you restore the Manual Backup File, is what folder to save the initial restore of the Manual Backup file into. All the other settings and Password Vault settings are restored, when you restore the Manual Backup File.

There is a Bug on the Quicken Activation Server, not in Quicken, that only appears when the initial installer is use to Activate Quicken, when one uses Data File Password.
    When one, like you don't use a Data File Password, you are not affected by the bug.

If you did decide to employ a Data File Password, you would see the Bug in action.

The only resort to fix it, would be to uninstall according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions 

You will be using a different installer that you download from your Account at Quicken.com.

As far as the CD goes, you can only use it to install Quicken once. You will always get the Activation Screen and will not be able to Activate Quicken again. You need to use the Installer found in your Quicken.com Account.

So buying a CD is not so wise, because it can't be used again. The Activation Code can only be used one time.

Before uninstalling Quicken 2017, do a Manual Backup, written in the procedure.

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    It sounds like once I have activated the fact that I originally bought my subscription via a CD doesn't matter. If/when I reinstall I would go to my account.

Got it!

And I missed above where you said when I run the downloaded install, to choose the "upgrade" option even though I had previously manually uninstalled my old version.

I think I got it!
    Thanks again,

BJB
  • thecreator

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    I could not edit my comment.....I did notice that although I never put passwords in the PW vault, I did have several usernames in there for login. I copied them just in case I need them. Perhaps it was prefilling those.
  • BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @thecreator,
    Thanks for everything. My upgrade looks like it went well! I always run a pre and post upgrade set of balancing reports. Nothing changed other than in my main portfolio view, it excluded cash in 2017 and included it in the new version. No issue, and net worth and accounts balanced.

I was concerned when it initially came up as Quicken, Home, and Rental property or something like that but then realized it did not know what version I was until I put in the code. Kind of like QuickBooks.

Only deviation from the script was that it somehow found my live data file and just opened it. I didn't have to tell it to find my backup.

I need to take a look at the quicken via web and mobile features and see if they are worth using. I know in the past I decided they were not worth my time.

Other than that, actually looks pretty similar.
    Thanks,
    @BJB
  • thecreator
    Hi @BJB ,

You're Welcome!

Since you understand a lot, have you thought about dual-booting your computer?

You can have one partition as a "work" partition and your other partition as a partition to learn on. Change settings. See what happens.

I use Acronis True Image from:  https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

It's forum is located at: https://forum.acronis.com/

By Dual-booting, you cal also keep Quicken Subscription in one partition and Quicken 2017 in another partition.

Or Quicken Subscription in one partition and Beta Test Quicken in another partition:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7855519/help-us-improve-quicken-become-a-beta-tester

This discussion has been closed.