Manual credit card payment shows in register as debit

Followed the Help instructions, posting a manual pymt to the [credit card acct] which shows up as a debit, raising the balance due by that amount. Two automatic pymts, by the bank, with identical categories etc., show correctly as credits. What gives?

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't click on the "Deposit" field of that manual payment and type in the amount paid there?  That should remove the debit amount and replace it with the payment amount?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's here are you entering it?  Like into a checking account as a transfer to the credit card account? You should enter it as a payment in the Checking Account reducing the checking acct balance.  When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

Is it in the right column in the credit card register?  Are you showing all the columns?  You should have separate columns for payments and charges.  To add or remove columns to the register

Select "Account Actions"   

Select "Register Columns..."   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Temreguy2
    Temreguy2 Member ✭✭
    The pymt is a transfer from a savings acct to the credit card acct. The bank syntax is a payment to the [credit card acct], but on the credit card acct the amount in the Payment column is added to the Balance amount, not subtracted!
  • Temreguy2
    Temreguy2 Member ✭✭
    You're right. I do have a credit balance on the account. I see now why the balance got bigger. Thanks. ;-) (PS: a pox on positive and negative numbers! lol)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cure to those "negative numbers" is to NOT use the Amount column, but rather the Charge and Payment columns ... which to my thinking are much more informative and don't have the negative sign complicaiton.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    The cure to those "negative numbers" is to NOT use the Amount column, but rather the Charge and Payment columns ... which to my thinking are much more informative and don't have the negative sign complicaiton.
    I wish the Quicken default account register view didn't include that Amount column.  It sometimes serves a purpose in troubleshooting transaction issues in the register but other than this I think it needlessly takes up valuable real estate in the register.  And it can sometimes lead to needless confusion.  I always remove the Amount column from my register views.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.