Convert Windows data to Mac without going through cloud (edited to intended title)

pfrank
pfrank Member ✭✭
I am trying to move data from my Windows Quicken 2020, build 27.1.25.21 to a newly installed Mac subscription program. However, when I get to the step about importing the Windows file, I get a pop up that says "This version of Quicken uses Quicken Cloud to import Quicken Windows files". However, I do not want to put my data in the cloud and if I cancel out of this step, no data is converted. I can easily see the Windows file on the thumb drive, so why can't the program simply convert this file instead of uploading it and then downloading it again. I don't want to put the file in the cloud.

Best Answers

Answers

• pfrank
    pfrank Member ✭✭
    Heading supposed to be WITHOUT going through cloud! D'Oh!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what the state is of the Quicken Windows QXF export.

In theory the "Mac conversion utility" is just a hacked version of Quicken Windows running in Wine on the Mac to do the export, and then importing the QXF file into the Mac data file.  If they kept up with adding whatever changes they put in the hacked version of Quicken Windows into current Quicken Windows Subscription version then all that would be needed is to do the QXF export on Windows and then import the QXF file into Quicken Mac.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pfrank
    pfrank Member ✭✭
    Thanks to all for your replies!

My MacBook is running Catalina. Now somewhat understand why my data needs to go to cloud first. Also seems like my concern about putting my data into the cloud may be somewhat misguided.

Also, not sure about the state of my windows QFX file other than it comes from my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit machine, but this is prob a moot point now.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @pfrank You have "switched file types" on us. :)

The file type for a Quicken Windows data file is .QDF, that is what you would normally be transferring to the Mac and let it upload/convert.

In the "background" the converter will be using a "part of Quicken Windows" to convert to a file format that has a type .QXF.  Note the Windows program is 32-bit and will not run on your operating system, that is why it has to be run on the server.  This just puts the data in a format that Quicken Mac knows how to read and convert into its data file format.  Quicken Mac will then use the .QXF file to create your new Quicken Mac data file and delete the .QXF file.

Note that you mentioned a .QFX this isn't a .QXF file (unfortunately they picked letters that are very close).  A QFX file is the "Web Connect" file that financial institutions can use to send you transactions to import into your data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pfrank
    pfrank Member ✭✭
    Yes, I did change file types, my bad! QDF is what I should have said, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.