Quicken (R25.xx) opens with background logon screen - Still appears after being posted as resolved

Answers

• GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    This morning I tried to log in to my Quicken account. The first thing that showed up was the data then it kept changing screens and ended up with the Quicken Welcome screen asking for Quicken ID and Password. I entered the information and it came up with a selection to choose as if I just installed Quicken for the first time. I selected the circle saying I wanted to restore Data from a CD, or external hard drive. I selected that it came up with the Data screen then asked for my Quicken ID and Password again.
    Then I was able to get in to my data . This is getting ridiculous!!! Has anyone else had experience chatting or calling on the phone with support. I did that twice was on the phone and chatting each time for probably 2 hours each time. Neither one was able to help me with this.
    I am going to try to chat again and ask when can it be expected for this issuse to be solved!!
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    You saying you weren't able to just ignore the extra screen and wait for the data file logon password? I wish they would give some feedback on this issue, either suck it up and live with it or we will fix it someday.
  • GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    The data file did not appear this time.
    I just did a chat asking when we can expect this issue to be cleared up. I was told that the Tier2Dept is still working on it. They are supposed to be the escalation team in charge to resolve ongoing issues. I told her that I was upset with this and never had an issue of using Quicken for 14 years before they required a subscription. She told me to give it another 24 hours to see if this issue could be fixed. And that I would receive an e-mail letting me know. My subscription will run out in June I use it on two computers one at my church. I do not wish to change to any other financial program as I have tried free trials and most have too many bells and whistles that I don't need.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, hopefully you can see light at end of tunnel.
  • R Bernard
    R Bernard Member ✭✭
    Recently (within the past month or so) when I open quicken the 'Welcome To Quicken Screen' loads causing an unreasonable delay before the register view is available. The screen is a sign in form, the fields are blank, and goes away if I do nothing. How do I get rid of this annoyance?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""R Bernard" ,

Quite familiar with problem. Only shows up for Users who have Activated Quicken with an Activation Code and using a File Password. It is a bug on the Activation Server.

Don't skip a step. Make sure to delete your current Quicken Installer, before downloading the new one, to avoid confusion.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    This reload had been tried before and didn't work. Some have tried it multiple times.

Something different is going on with this handshake, last few days it has taken about 30 seconds of blank screen to get to home screen. Once after entering data file password, Quicken just went away- died. Doubled clicked again and then after around 20 - 30 seconds after entering password, I got home screen.
  • 1captainj
    1captainj Member ✭✭
    It is April 10, this has been closed many times but is still an issue and a pain in the butt. Can you fix it or are you just going to shine this one on?
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Now I noticed 25.21 is out, is the problem still hanging around? I have my UAC set so it won't auto update like it use to. I wish vendors didn't try to help me so much, had to set a group policy to stop Microsoft auto updating. A nice add on to Quicken would be an option to "don't check for updates/don't handshake leave me alone until renew date".

I think my initial load to home page is faster??? Maybe the handshake routine has been modified?
  • Hassayampa Slim
    Hassayampa Slim Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Unfortunately, the phantom log-on screen is still there in 25.21 s
    Amazing how Quicken is apparently unable to resolve this issue. Quicken used to be the best by far...but that was when Intuit owned it. This outfit was quick to set up the subscription service, but that apparently drained the last of their knowledge. As I mentioned before, when simple things like this appear to be a daunting challenge, I begin to feel squeamish about what kind of security they maintain.
    (Removed-No Soliciting) 
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It seems they have some nice features, but I don't know if they were already in there prior to the takeover.  I still use just the basic check register like I have since it was in DOS operating system.  I am just too lazy to change, but don't know, might just put up with the ads next renew date?
    Hopefully, it will get fix soon, the problem area has been narrowed down?
  • setldown2
    setldown2 Member ✭✭
    I updated to 26.15 today because it said it had a fix for password bug among other things. Nope. Sign-in problem still there after reboot.
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭✭
    April 24 and have logon screen when open Quicken. Just updated to 26.17 and problem remains so not resolved.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trini said:
    April 24 and have logon screen when open Quicken. Just updated to 26.17 and problem remains so not resolved.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering, guess I won't update.  Sad they can't or won't fix this issue.  I remember how it was before retirement, liked to put in new features more than fixing problems- especially when if the problem was caused by another programmer. 
  • R Bernard
    R Bernard Member ✭✭
    I received a reply from 'thecreator' with step-by-step instructions for fixing the problem of the 'Welcome to Quicken' screen causing a delay, telling me it was a bug on the activation server. This link was supposed to be the way to fix it: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions
    Results:
    I followed all of the steps and it’s still slow. Here’s what happens:
    1. I click the quicken icon in the start menu
    2. Quicken opens with the ‘Welcome to Quicken’ screen in the background
    3. In the foreground is the window for me to enter my data file password
    4. I enter the password and for several seconds the Welcome to Quicken screen stays active before the program actually opens my Quicken file
    So I did all of your procedures and it’s still slow.
    One procedure I could not perform was deleting C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit. This folder has the following subfolders: Database Providers, Internet Client, TurboTax and UpdateService v4
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    It seems for whatever reason this is not going to get fixed.  There seems to be a lot of handshaking going on during this process of opening my Quicken- which I use absolutely no online functions and there is not a reason in the world to have any handshaking!  They can and most likely do set the termination date on local PC.   Also, I can check for updates myself and if Quicken thinks they have to do it for me, it is not a difficult or time consuming process and doesn't require a logon! 
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭✭
    Just started Quicken (de luxe) today May 6 and it automatically updated to 26.21 but still getting logon screen that sits for a while before going away so I guess it is still being worked on.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    [removed - inaccurate/speculative]
  • Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    Divemaster. Caught your reply in the email before they removed it. Spot on. I've been in IT (and still are) since 1974.....
  • DrSkee
    DrSkee Member ✭✭
    After multiple uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken, I cannot get Quicken R27.1.26.21 to open. When I try to open a data file, it opens briefly about 10 seconds, then the Quicken ID and password popup screen appears. The Quicken ID and password popup screens are still occuring since R25.10 and appear to be in an endless loop.

I disagree with the comment from 'thecreator' stating the problem "Only shows up for Users who have Activated Quicken with an Activation Code and using a File Password. It is a bug on the Activation Server." To clarify, The problem also occurs for Users that do not use a data file password.

I have used the recommended fix to reinstall Quicken, using this procedure: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions. As Divemaster said "This reload had been tried before and didn't work. Some have tried it multiple times."

Yesterday, I again tried to reload at least 3 times and with Quicken Support Personnel at least 2 times. Quicken support also had me to download Mondo Patch 26.21. This has upgraded me to R27.1.26.21. After 2 hours with Quicken Support, the Quicken ID and password popup screen still appears and Quicken will not open. Quicken Support referred me to Microsoft and provided a phone number. I would say this has not been a very good customer experience. With all of the comments from other users having the same and similar issues one would think Quicken would jump on this to get it fixed, NOW.

I have been using Quicken since DOS Quicken version 2 and have never experienced the problems like what is occuring now. I think they should walk all the upgrades back at least a year to a more stable platform.

Since I cannot open the Quicken program, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can create a QIF file of my data?
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Divemaster. Caught your reply in the email before they removed it. Spot on. I've been in IT (and still are) since 1974.....

Yes they don't like anyone who disagrees with all is wonderful and we are doing great. Sad it is not really an exchange of information. 
  • johnleb
    johnleb Member ✭✭
    I have tried every fix Quicken says to do, but I still get the 2 logon screen and I have been getting them for months.
  • GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    I certainly am concerned about this as I am due to renew next month. I think it is an awful that are not trying to solve this problem. Especially when we have to pay for a subscription. They certainly have techs that can correct this.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, I sent a letter off to corporate in Menlo Park, CA discussing the issue as well as other issues not related directly to Quicken software.    Got a nice response, we will see if that is it? 
  • andyross
    andyross Member ✭✭
    Yet ANOTHER update, this time to 26.23. No change.
  • Rich L
    Rich L Member ✭✭
    Now on 26.21 and still no fix. It appears they just don't care. I also spent way to much time with support who had me try all the fixes that others have tried with no fix. I have used Quicken since 1998 and think it is time to look for another program. If anyone has found something better please let me know.
  • GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    Sorry to say I do not know what will work for you. I also have used Quicken for as long as you have. I use it for my treasurers work for my church. Some are wanting me to change to Quickbooks. I have tried a free trial and do not like it at all. It has too many bells and whistles that I would never use. Also transfer Quicken Data to Quickbooks is complicated. It would be best to manually enter all data that would involve too much time. I am not getting any younger and do not wish to do that. I just hate it that they won't correct the problem. Can't even find Quicken software to install myself.
    They have is over a barrel and they know it. Thing is there are others that will gladly change to another program, they better wake up!!!!!
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    GLE81342 said:
    Sorry to say I do not know what will work for you. I also have used Quicken for as long as you have. I use it for my treasurers work for my church. Some are wanting me to change to Quickbooks. I have tried a free trial and do not like it at all. It has too many bells and whistles that I would never use. Also transfer Quicken Data to Quickbooks is complicated. It would be best to manually enter all data that would involve too much time. I am not getting any younger and do not wish to do that. I just hate it that they won't correct the problem. Can't even find Quicken software to install myself.
    They have is over a barrel and they know it. Thing is there are others that will gladly change to another program, they better wake up!!!!!

Before your post gets deleted, thought I say I feel the same. 
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is an annoying problem for sure. But is it blocking use of any Quicken features?  I just ignore the initial screen and login with my datafile password.  Maybe I'm missing something about this issue.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• GLE81342
    GLE81342 Member ✭✭
    No it doesn't seem to be blocking use of any Quicken Features for me. Just concerned that something else my go wrong with Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.