QuickFill and Auto-Categorization should be off by default (Q Mac)

dental_floss
dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements
Both QuickFill and Auto-Categorization should be off by default and user-controllable.
Tagged:
10 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

QMAC-18402

Comments

• dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    Continuing from above, because the above got posted without me actually clicking 'post comment'...and now this interface will not allow me to edit/save the original post above...

Both QuickFill and Auto-Categorization should be OFF by default and also user-controllable (with memory of last setting).

If a user desires Quickfill, then they can enable it.
    If a user desires Auto-Categorization, then then can enable it.

This should hold true for desktop version and any syncing to the cloud.

Vote!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Just to make it clears, the ability to turn off auto-categorization already exists for downloaded transactions. Preferences > Connected Services and uncheck the option that states:

'Automatically Improve the Quality of Downloaded Payee Names and Categories'

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    Yes that option exists but does not always work. Some downloaded transactions still get auto categorized. This happened to me today.

Re-wording that option to be more specific about what the user is really setting would be a good enhancement too. :)
  • unitic2
    unitic2 Member
    Doesn't work. I still have to click each and every entry to keep it from autofilling. Is there any way to fix this?
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    Vote! And tell your friends to vote.
  • robert m
    robert m Member ✭✭
    I strongly agree that QuickFill should be OFF by default.
  • Treville
    Treville Member ✭✭
    Agreed. Automatic everything should be an opt-in. There could be wizards or enrollment options to help people choose the features that really help them but in general, Quicken is about managing your finances. There's a level of detail that people who choose to use this tool want. If you want everything hands off and automated, there may be a better tool out there. At the very least, being able to make the choice is key.
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    [removed -disruptive/off-topic]
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    [removed -disruptive/off-topic]
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken, Preferences, Register....uncheck Renaming Rules and QuickFill Rules.

Quicken, Preferences, Connected Services... uncheck Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories.  

PS...I love Dark Mode.  And that was the NUMBER ONE requested feature to add.  So, yeah...it was a big deal and a great addition and time well spent.  Thanks, Quicken Team. 
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, those recommendations are the same ones listed before/elsewhere and they still don't always work.

My point above is: bugs that affect raw downloaded should be squashed before nice-to-have look-and-feel enhancements are added. Where I used to work, we called these 'B4 bugs'...you fix them Before you go home for the day. :/

> @garysmith87 said:
    > Quicken, Preferences, Register....uncheck Renaming Rules and QuickFill Rules.
    >
    > Quicken, Preferences, Connected Services... uncheck Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories.  
    >
    > PS...I love Dark Mode.  And that was the NUMBER ONE requested feature to add.  So, yeah...it was a big deal and a great addition and time well spent.  Thanks, Quicken Team.