when I reconcile the Prior Balance is always off $100.00 from the previous month's balance

Steven L
Steven L Member ✭✭
It seems like a Quicken bug, because I went back a few months and it happens every time.
Tagged:

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your prior balance being off by $100 is the result of either an item marked as reconciled for the wrong hundred value amount or a balance adjustment entered. You will need to go back as many months as needed until you find the amount in question.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the beginning balances of the reconcile are changing from what they were, it is because the Reconciled transactions have changed.

The opening balance of the reconcile is the sum total of all of the R transactions in the register and is calculated at the time of reconciliation and not stored for future reference.

What could change that # is one of the following:
    1. a blank or C was changed to a R
    2. an R was changed to a blank or C
    3. the amount of an R was changed
    4. a new transaction was marked R to begin with
    5. a R transaction was deleted

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Steven L
    Steven L Member ✭✭
    thanks
  • I have seen several posts about the prior balance being incorrect when attempting to reconcile an account. I found them after it happened to me. The last time I went to reconcile one of my accounts the prior balance was off by a significant amount. I had never seen this before, and I am a long time Quicken user (15+ years). I reconcile down to the penny each time, as many users have indicated they do. I do not import ANY data, instead entering it all manually. After looking at the other posts, I went back through my transactions. I had to go back several years, but I managed to find the ones that were throwing off the calculated prior balance. Here's the kicker: ALL of the transactions that were incorrect were situations where QUICKEN had apparently changed some transactions. In every instance (there were four), a charge from one month was repeated in the following month, and the original charge for that month had been deleted. Since I balance to the penny each time, I can GUARANTEE you that I didn't somehow duplicate any of those payments and delete the original ones. My prior reconciliations would not have balanced had I been doing that. I'm not sure how or why this could happen, but it did, and in this case it wasn't user error. I've made lots of mistakes in my day and am happy to own them. This isn't one of those times.
This discussion has been closed.