Why does Quicken R25.10 open with background logon screen for Quicken.com* ?

124»

Answers

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Updated to 25.10 today and now I get a new full page screen on execution of Quicken that displays a logon to online account or create account page. Also, says Welcome to Quicken off to the right of logon prompts along with Installing Quicken on another computer.

This wasn't here prior and I don't use any online functions- only use desktop functions.

There is no reason to ask or display this screen, is this a bug? It still displays my local password small box for entry of local password, but does not shown my typing local password in box as it is busy doing whatever it does with full page screen wanting a logon to account.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    If I let it display the new page and then enter my local password in small box like I done for years, Quicken works normally.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Okay this is an error as it hasn't happen before and I been on Quicken since DOS. If I go in to preferences and take off the "Manage Data File Password" I don't get the new full page screen to log into online account with a username and password. When I put back in the Manage Data File Password I get the new full page logon to account with username and password, plus the same old small popup window that I put in the password only that I have been getting for the last decade plus.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobbo said:
    thecreator,

Bobbo here. I did have to activate the subscription when I installed it, but that was 11 months ago and the problem only started recently. I did not reinstall the program.

MHSwizzleStick,

I wasn't aware of the thread, but somehow my question is at the end of it! Seems like I'm not the only one with this issue.
    Hi @Bobbo ,

Please don't skip any steps.

Lots of others who have upgraded, don't have this problem, because at one point or another, they reinstall Quicken Subscription from a new installer in their Quicken User ID Account, covered in the link above.

Also, of you remove the File Password, before doing a Manual Backup, then reinstall Quicken and do the File Password after restoring, you will probably see a difference.

Report back, please.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi All,
    > Here is the solution:* Open Quicken and enter the File Password.
    > * Once you are at the Home Tab and see all the Accounts, click File.
    > * Click on Set Password for this data file...
    > * Click Use this data file without a password.
    > * Enter the existing password. Click OK.
    > * Close and reopen Quicken.
    > * Make sure that it opens just fine.
    > * Repeat Step 6.
    > * Now with Quicken open, click Set Password for this data file...
    > * Dot Set a custom password.
    > * Use a password with only letters and numbers.
    > * Create and Confirm password.
    > * Click OK.
    > * Close and reopen Quicken.
    > * You will get a Enter Password Screen, surrounded by the Gray screen.
    >
    > (Image)

Thanks, but this didn't work, I still get the gray screen as you show and then shortly it turns into the logon screen in background. If I leave it without password, I don't get the new pesky screen.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    It seems this has been an issue for some time, yet no solution other than turning off password for the data file. Does the software developers ever look at issues from this community of users? As usual I do an image of system before updating, so I can easily go back prior to updating to 25.10 from 24.14. Since this is easily reproducible as well as many with the unresolved issue, it would be nice to get update from developers. Maybe this is just the wrong place to get that done, I don't know. I don't think I seen anyone that got a fix?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trouble is, it's not easily reproducible. I can't reproduce it and I maintain a password on my data file. Many people report seeing this and many do not. Only the Q developers know how the code changed between R24 & R25, so we'll just have to wait for some official word, which will not be coming during the weekend.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that does make it difficult when you have a lot with the problem and lots without. I would think a key to the issue would be that the problems goes away when you remove password for data file. So if I had to debug this I would be looking into what happens when checking for that switch being on. Think I will watch this topic and restore with my Acronis image made just prior to update.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did a restore of image prior to 25.10 update and problem went away.
    This might be a clue to the problem??? After updates I always run a super validate, the one today after updating to 25.10 had some lines I didn't understand and have never seen before, but no messages saying I was in trouble. Never had these messages before today's update. Ran another super validate after restoring image and all was as I seen in past, saying no errors and all consistency passed.

The strange lines on report after updating to 25:10 were:
    Normal security references (up to 5000): 7 from 1 to 13
    Abnormal references: 0 from 0 to 0
    Transactions renumbered/highest/set to zero: 0/0/0
    Recheck of highest after renumbering: 13
    Renumbering complete.
    Maximum security references after renumbering normal/moved: 13/13
    See Q-Renumber.txt in QW.EXE directory for details.
    Super validation complete

After restoring image and running super validate:
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed

So I would assume the update did something or the super validate in 25:10 is checking something different?
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    After I updated to 25.10, I had some goofy problems too. I did everything I could to get it going. I went to bed and then it worked in the am.  I'm running well now, but did notice the goofy stuff  in the report after running Validate and Super Validate. the other thing I use is Advanced System Care Free. It seems to clean things CCleaner and Glary leaves. I do not use a file password, but was tempted to toggle that option "on" tonight, but didn't!  Must have been divine intervention but in all honesty I've never experienced that before when I have a Quicken problem. Maybe we need what Windows 10 has with the ability to put off updates for for 7 days before it must be downloaded to allow users who want to try a new update to try it first!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    The strange lines on report after updating to 25:10 were:
    Normal security references (up to 5000): 7 from 1 to 13
    Abnormal references: 0 from 0 to 0
    Transactions renumbered/highest/set to zero: 0/0/0
    Recheck of highest after renumbering: 13
    Renumbering complete.
    Maximum security references after renumbering normal/moved: 13/13
    See Q-Renumber.txt in QW.EXE directory for details.
    Super validation complete
    Those strange lines are the new normal. Previously, a separate process was needed to check security references, now it's built into Validate. Your result is perfect, with no abnormal references and the 2 numbers 13/13 are equal, as they should be.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    TJ102 said:
     Maybe we need what Windows 10 has with the ability to put off updates for for 7 days before it must be downloaded to allow users who want to try a new update to try it first!
    Enable User Account Control so that you get prompted whether to allow updates.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > (Quote)
    > Those strange lines are the new normal. Previously, a separate process was needed to check security references, now it's built into Validate. Your result is perfect, with no abnormal references and the 2 numbers 13/13 are equal, as they should be.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case, but now I know for sure. I also have been using UAC to control the Quicken updates.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for reporting this behavior to the Community, although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced.  Our Teams have been investigating this behavior and working to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. 

An internal fix has been made which should resolve the Quicken ID login screen appearing in the background when entering a Quicken data file password.

Our investigation determined that the root cause of this behavior was not due to the R25.10 product update, but was instead caused by a separate, internal server update that was released at the same time as the R25.10 update.

This conversation is being closed as resolved, but if you do continue to receive a prompt to sign into the Quicken ID, please start a new post to report it and let us know.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • previous thread in early March by MOD was that this was an internal server issue. in almost 2 months despite Covid-19 you would think the issue would be resolved. R26.15 windows 7 64 bit. this info shouldn't be necessary if it's an internal error and not a programming issue.
    did MOD speak the truth? any idea when this is going to be resolved?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2020
    Hello @MICHAEL FIRESTEIN,

Thank you for reaching out to the community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this.

To better understand your issue I would just like to ask if you could clarify which sign-in screen it is that you are getting? Is it a small pop-up screen asking for your Quicken ID and password (that also tends to pop-up continuously more than once) or does it cover your entire Quicken screen requiring you to sign in just once and then give access to your data file? Last, does the dialogue ask for a Quicken ID and password or a data file password?

If you want you can also attach a screenshot or drag and drop a screenshot to your response which will create a link for me to click on and allow me to view it within my web browser instead.

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• the picture should explain it all, hope this gets to you becuase replying to your email is a noreply email.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""MICHAEL FIRESTEIN" ,

There is a bug on the Quicken Activation Server.

If you skip any step, it won't work.

You are using Data File Password with your Data File. That's when you get the bug. Don't use a Data File Password, and you won't see the bug in action.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• is there a way to remove the password from the data file without going through all this?
    will going through all this remove the password used for the data file login. if not will this process work to eliminate the login page?
    i created a very simple new file without password and that works withiout log in page appearing. my actuall data file contains years of data some going back more than 10 years.

fixed it i just removed the password from the data file without going through all this.............. no more login page
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a recent bug -
    You can just enter your Data File Password -
    and ignore the background Quicken logon screen
    as it will disappear in about 10-20 secs.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.