Can I remove transfers from the pie charts?

My credit card transfers and transfers between different accounts are showing up in the pie charts. I would like to remove these from the pie charts because they skew the pie charts, especially if the transfers are large. I keep track of the transfers in other ways. I cannot find any settings on the pie charts that would let me change the settings to remove the transfers.

I am using the new Quicken Deluxe 2020 subscription product on Windows.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Specifically, which pie charts are you looking at?
    And, how are your credit card transfers categorized? As transfer from checking account to [ABC VISA 1234] or some other category name?
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

• vlnielsen
    vlnielsen Member ✭✭
    I posted 2 screen shots, one for the "all accounts" view and one for "credit cards spending only" view.

The transfers only show up on the "all accounts" pie chart. The categories used for the transfers shows at the bottom of the screen shot.

On the "credit cards" pie chart the issue is that the credit card payments are being subtracted from the total spending giving a skewed amount of actual spending.

Let me know if these screen shots provide the information you are looking for.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using savings goals? Are the two "transfer" categories shown true transfers or are they categories you have created and named as transfers?  

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• vlnielsen
    vlnielsen Member ✭✭
    The 2 transfers are actual transfers.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be 100% clear on this, in your checking account register, does the category for the credit card payment show as [Amex Work] or whatever the account name of your credit card is in Quicken enclosed in [square brackets]? In the credit card account, the transfer should show as [Checking] corresponding the the name of your checking account

That is what the transfers should look like, and if so Quicken excludes these transfers for me.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • vlnielsen
    vlnielsen Member ✭✭
    First, sorry for the delayed response. I checked my credit card account and checking account. The categories are not enclosed with brackets so that must be the problem. I will do some testing and let you know, thx.
  • vlnielsen
    vlnielsen Member ✭✭
    I did some investigation and have a few questions:
    1. Is the transfer category created when an account is set up? It doesn't seem to be something I can create.
    2. If there are "bracketed" transfer categories can I just update the categories for the register entries that already exist?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Transfers are just that, movement of money from one account to another.  They don't need to be set up or created.  Quicken knows that an account name enclosed in brackets means transfer to that account.  When you edit a category in a transaction, the dialog box has the type of category to select from on the left side. So you can just click on that and then select the account you want to transfer to, or you can directly type in the account name enclosed in brackets.

If you had a category called mytransfer you can do a find and replace to replace mytransfer with say [checking], where checking is the name of your checking account.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• vlnielsen
    vlnielsen Member ✭✭
    Ok, thx!
This discussion has been closed.