About spending reports

Options
I have been using quicken for several years, but am still a novice. I have two categories (one income, one expense) that I use to transfer money betwen banking accounts. Since I shop interest rates, I tend to do a fair amount of transferring. The category DOMINATES my spending report to the extent that it is kind of difficult to see quickly what is happening with my actual expenditures. Is there a way to do a spending report eliminating this fake/bogus category, or can I change to not look like spending?

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Why aren't using Q's ability to transfer directly between the accounts by using the OTHER account's name, enclosed in  square brackets, as the  category in the originating account.  E.G., [Other account's name].
    Thus eliminating the entire need for those 2 categories.
    OR, you could just choose to not include those 2 categories in your spending reports.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• shaw1881
    shaw1881 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have trouble getting some banks to download directly in to Q. I'm not sure the capability that you mentioned existed or at least worked well when I started this madness a few years ago. I've tried eliminating the category in the report but it didn't seem to work well. I'll try again. I usually look at the report directly from the spending tab and I don't see that capability there. Thanks!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ability to transfer between accounts, in Q, has existed since at least the Q Dos Version 5 (it's currently on version 27).
    Why did "eliminating the category" not work?  Elaborate. 
    Also explain how you're creating the report, and why you're not using the Reports menu.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.