How do I view the previous saved files without altering the current file?

I am using Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property. I made a major error when trying to change the category "Interest" to specify "Business Interest." Somehow I deleted all of the transactions with the term "interest" in both personal and business transactions! I understand that I have to restore a previous. However, by the time I realized what I had done, two or three days went by and I need to determine which file to restore. Instead of going back to my last backup of 6 days ago, I want the latest file before my error occurred, if that is possible. I don't know if you can restore a file unless it is a backup, and the safest way to restore a backup.

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you're doing a restore (FILE,  Backup and Restore,  Restore from Backup file), you're presented with the option to  give the file that you're restoring a new name.
    You could, also, create a backup of the current Q data file to a new location ...  say a USB drive.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• clo
    clo Member ✭✭
    Can I just view a previous data file to find the one I need without changing the current file?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of restoring, you can change the file extension from QDF-Backup to just QDF and then open the file in Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • pau
    pau Member ✭✭
    Followed your instructions loading old backup but transactions made after restored file date remain
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    pau said:
    Followed your instructions loading old backup but transactions made after restored file date remain

I'm not quite understanding this. WHERE are those remaining transactions? In which Q data file ... the one previously being used, or the one just restored.
    And, multiple methods of doing this were described ... which did you use.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.