Popup window to Enter Transaction to Large.

Just updated for Quicken 2016 to 2020. Now the popup window to enter a transaction from the 'Bill and Income Reminders' is too large. The buttons to save the transaction or cancel are below the bottom of my screen.

I actually know what is causing this, it is just aggravating that the fixes need to be done make using Quicken and/or Windows unbearable because everything is too small then.

If I uncheck 'Use Large Fonts' it makes the menus and other fonts of the quicken screen too small.

If I go into Display Settings in Windows and adjust my scaling down from 125% to 100%, then the icons on my desktop and fonts in other programs are too small.

I can drag my taskbar to the side of the screen, and enough of the buttons do appear that I can select my choice, but this is a pain to do every time.

Why does this popup have to be so large? It looks as if they added more info into it between version upgrades and that is why it is so much taller.

I haven't found any of the other popup windows to be too large.

Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @ScottNikont

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I understand your problem with the sizing because like you said you need it to be at 125 for other programs. There's one thing I can think of to try to see if we're able to get those boxes a bit smaller. I'll list the steps from one of our superusers UKR.

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 
      Windows 10:  Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"  (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!)
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Please try this out and let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• ScottNikont
    ScottNikont Member ✭✭
    Does not seem to make any difference in window size.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @ScottNikont . The dialog is simply too tall for a standard 1080 pixel screen when Large Fonts are enabled, and it's not resizable. This is a bug. If the window were resizable with a scroll bar, it would be fine.
    Only solution I can think of is disable Large Fonts and set global Windows scaling to 125% if it was at 100%. That works for me.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have the same problem (i.e. hyperopia), and the proposed fix above doesn't work for me either.  Agree with Rocket J that this seems to be a bug.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you guys talking about this dialog?

The reason I ask is because I tried it on my screen and with Large Fonts on the dialog is 935 pixels high, which should fit fine on a 1080 screen.

If not it suggests that Large Fonts is being mixed with Windows scaling other than 100% which would in fact change the resolution available to Quicken to lower than what Quicken is spec'd to run on.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ScottNikont
    ScottNikont Member ✭✭
    Yes that is the window, but go back and read my original post. Setting my display to 100% makes everything else in windows to small.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes that is the window, but go back and read my original post. Setting my display to 100% makes everything else in windows to small.
    Have you consider using the Magnifier?  See Windows SettingsEase of Use.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ScottNikont the point is that if you combine "Use Large Fonts" and a Windows scaling you can easily violate the requirements for Quicken.  Now if everything else fits except this dialog should they change it so that you can even run at a lower specification and re-specify that requirement?  Well it certainly can be suggested, but personally I doubt that they will do it since that just leads to someone else wanting Quicken to fit on an even lower resolution screen, not to mention them having to go through the whole program to make sure there isn't anything else that doesn't fit.

Here is are the system requirements.
    These are given at 100% Windows scaling.  In truth even a 1920x1080 screen at 100% violates their spec, but in reality as I have shown above Quicken is actually usable with a 1920x1080 screen resolution at 100% (at least for this dialog).

But when you combine 125% Windows scaling you are really pushing it.
    To do the calculations for 125% you have to divide the resolution by 1.25.   So 1920 / 1.25 = 1536 pixels, and 1080 / 1.25 = 864 pixels.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Chris_QPW said:
    @ScottNikont the point is that if you combine "Use Large Fonts" and a Windows scaling you can easily violate the requirements for Quicken.  Now if everything else fits except this dialog should they change it so that you can even run at a lower specification and re-specify that requirement?  Well it certainly can be suggested, but personally I doubt that they will do it since that just leads to someone else wanting Quicken to fit on an even lower resolution screen, not to mention them having to go through the whole program to make sure there isn't anything else that doesn't fit.

Here is are the system requirements.
    These are given at 100% Windows scaling.  In truth even a 1920x1080 screen at 100% violates their spec, but in reality as I have shown above Quicken is actually usable with a 1920x1080 screen resolution at 100% (at least for this dialog).

But when you combine 125% Windows scaling you are really pushing it.
    To do the calculations for 125% you have to divide the resolution by 1.25.   So 1920 / 1.25 = 1536 pixels, and 1080 / 1.25 = 864 pixels.
    @Chris_QPW

Why do think a 1920x1080 screen at 100% violates their spec?

1920x1080 is higher than the minimum requirement.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oops, you are correct, my mind flipped the 1080 and 1024.
    Signature:
  • ScottNikont
    ScottNikont Member ✭✭
    I'm sorry, but unless I use large fonts, everything in Quicken is too small. Using regular fonts and then increasing the size of the font only changes the font size in the register, and then everything else in Quicken is too small.

I don't know why the popup windows cannot be resizable and scale themselves. Of all the programs I use, the ones with popups can scale with no problems.
  • ScottNikont
    ScottNikont Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock Using the Magnifier does not seem to change anything in Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why the popup windows cannot be resizable and scale themselves. Of all the programs I use, the ones with popups can scale with no problems.

Well hopefully they will do that, but I was really wouldn't get your hopes up on it happening, it has been like this for years.

BTW the magnifier works fine for me, but it is a royal pain to use and does make things "fuzzy".

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @Sherlock Using the Magnifier does not seem to change anything in Quicken.
    I suspect you may not be using the functionality appropriately.   Here's a partial screen capture showing a lens view at 125% with Windows scaling at 100% over a Quicken view.  As you can see, Magnifier lens enlarges the area beneath the lens.  In addition to a lens view, there is a full screen and a dock view. There are a number of keyboard shortcuts that make Magnifier usage easy to access when needed.

• ScottNikont
    ScottNikont Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock I guess I wasn't using the magnifier. I found it by typing its name in the search bar. Not really effective because I want the fonts to be larger in the whole program on the entire screen, not just in the magnifying window. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ScottNikont
    ScottNikont Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Going back to earlier in this thread, I mentioned that this popup window only became too big when I updated from 2016 to 2020. Quicken had to add more dialog to this window.

I actually had this too large problem in version 2016 also but was able to make it fit on the screen with my current Windows settings and using large fonts. Just no luck in this new version.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just happened to have Quicken 2016 installed on a machine to test something else so I decided to see what the size of that dialog was on that version, and yes they have in fact increased the size of that dialog.  In Quicken 2016 it is 900 pixels high, in Quicken Subscription it is 935.  I suspect part of the increase in size is due to a change in the fonts used.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @Sherlock I guess I wasn't using the magnifier. I found it by typing its name in the search bar. Not really effective because I want the fonts to be larger in the whole program on the entire screen, not just in the magnifying window. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Again, you may not be sufficiently aware of the Magnifier functionality.  If you want to enlarge the full screen, select full screen view or press Ctrl + Alt + F.  The keyboard shortcuts make it easy to switch in and out of Magnifier (Windows + + and Windows + Esc), etc..
This discussion has been closed.