Why do I have to RENT Quicken?

Why is it that I am being pushed to upgrade a perfectly fine, working software? And - when I check into it, I find I have to pay yearly for it. That's no different than renting!! I don't rent my home? Why should I rent some software?

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This response from Tyka should explain the ongoing cost associated with Quicken. You can update manually and never upgrade until your operating system no longer supports it if you choose.

"Quicken 2017, just as other Quicken products sold during the previous 10 years, was sold with a 3-year connected services contract which is coming to an end. 

The reason for the 3-year [now 1-year] term is that there are very real ongoing costs associated with maintaining connectivity, purchasing data for connected services, operating cloud-based companion apps, security monitoring and management, and periodically revising the product itself to meet evolving security and connectivity changes with financial institutions. 

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka"

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it that I am being pushed to upgrade a perfectly fine, working software? And - when I check into it, I find I have to pay yearly for it. That's no different than renting!! I don't rent my home? Why should I rent some software?

So when you bought your house you got the utilities paid for life?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NanaGoldie
    NanaGoldie Member ✭✭
    Good answers... Except - I never used the connectivity, bank downloads. Just bought the software, and used the basics of the software. The ONLY reason I have the 2017 version is the older version I had wouldn't work on Win 7. And since I don't usually fix what is not broken, I won't be "upgrading" that either.

Sorry - this old goat prefers to own what I use, and only pay for things I need.

Utilities are paid for upon usage - not rented.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are not using any of the download features, relax and stay with the version you have. There is no one forcing you to update. Continue to enter transactions manually as you have been.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @NanaGoldie in that case why don't you just stay with Quicken 2017, that is certainly what I would do in your situation.

As for the rest the consumer isn't the one that decides how to market a given product/service.  There are plenty of channels I don't use on my cable, but they package it in different "bundles".  I can only pick the bundle that fits my needs the best.

In the case of Quicken Inc a huge percentage of their customers do use the online services and it would be to difficult for them or not profitable for them to break it up so that everyone gets to choose and pick.  There isn't really any difference between what they are doing and most every other business does.
    Signature:
  • NanaGoldie
    NanaGoldie Member ✭✭
    That is exactly what I intend to do, stay with what I have.

I have been a Quicken user since the early 1980's, and am disappointed in the route that Quicken has chosen to take.
  • NanaGoldie
    NanaGoldie Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW - I hear you, and understand. Thank you for giving me the best answer.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version did you have before 2017?  I am still using Q2013 on Windows 8.1

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NanaGoldie
    NanaGoldie Member ✭✭
    I think it was 8. I was on XP. (Still use XP on 1 PC)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is interesting to note the history behind Quicken 2013 and Quicken 2017.
    Quicken 2013 is the last version that can be used without a Quicken Id, and Quicken 2017 is the last version that can be used without the subscription.

So if Quicken Inc ever goes out of business and you have to reinstall Quicken 2013 is the last version that will work in that case.

Quicken 2017 on the other hand is the last version you can use and let the support lapse and not have 25% of your screen taken up by an ad to upgrade.  That is provided you have the Deluxe edition or above.  With the Deluxe version allows for manual update, but the Starter version goes read-only.

And the other milestone that Quicken 2017 represents is one with the QIF imports.  It is the last version that will allow matching to existing transactions a processing the memorized payees to set the categories.  For Quicken Subscription they go right into the account without any processing.  They did give one "bone" for Quicken Subscription over Quicken 2004 to Quicken 2017 and that is there is no longer a GUI block of what account types you can import into.  In Quicken 2004 to Quicken 2017 you have to "override" what QIF import GUI has for the account name by putting the account name and type in the QIF file.
    Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NanaGoldie Just FYI, you have NEVER bought Quicken.  You couldn't afford to buy the entire company .... which is the only way to "buy" Quicken.
    What you bought, even going back to the early '80s when you first started using Q, is a LICENSE to run Q subject to the End User License Agreement, which you agreed to every time that you installed Q.  Q would not have installed otherwise.
    It's the EULA that specifies the period for which the EULA is valid.  All that's changed is the duration of the EULA ... and even that's flexible depending upon where you buy Q.
    BTW, if you don't use any of the online functions, why did you previously upgrade Q?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because user said his version 8 wouldn't work on win7.  

When you converted from 8 did you go through Q2004 then Q2013 to get to 2017?  You could have stopped at 2013 for free like me.  Or did you start over with a new file in 2017?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NanaGoldie
    NanaGoldie Member ✭✭
    @volvogirl - Thank you for noting the reason for moving from ver.8.

I had a fire that damaged our home office, damaging or destroying our software CDs/DVDs, and 1 of the 2 computers. My husband's computer did not have any of the "household" software on it. Mine did. And mine was damaged.

I bought a computer that was running Win7. Whatever version I used on XP would not have worked on Win7, and the next available was Q17. I have used Q17 just like I did on my XP computer. No downloads. No uploads. Just the normal updates that most software gets. I did not really have a choice as to which version I bought, just which "level" I could get - basic, deluxe, and business. (if I recall correctly)

I bought deluxe, because at the time, I was going to use it for my small business, to help with the invoicing & payroll. Then I discovered that all those extras entailed using online services. Since I am anti "cloud services" and online uploads - solely because of there cannot possibly be enough security on those services, I don't use those features. I wasted my money... oh well.

I am going to continue to use Q17, with all my manual entries. As I said before - I am just disappointed in the route that Quicken has chosen to go. If I have to down the road, I will simply go back to old school, and paper & pencil, and a column spreadsheet.

Thank you folks for reading, and contributing. I am signing off now.
This discussion has been closed.