Tax planner not including future estimated state tax payments

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
In the Tax Planner's State/Local Tax page, there is an area to compute the total estimated taxes for the tax year using projected future payments. In the screen shot below, I am looking at tax year 2020.
You can see the planner is only including one estimated tax payment for tax year 2019 which was made in January 2020. It should be looking at my reminders and seeing the estimated tax payments scheduled in the future. Those reminders all have the correct category & tax line item.
Now California did move payment #1 from April to July, which is why you see 2 reminders for 7/15/20. Could it be that Quicken is looking for specific dates for these payments and this year's change has confused it? I would think it would look only at the tax line item.
This is 27.1.26.21.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The Tax Planner is picking up our remaining (7/15 and 9/15) estimate reminders correctly.  If you haven't already, I suggest you check the tax-line item assigned to the category of the missing reminders.  Note: Only two of the first two of the remaining estimate reminders should appear as the last estimate reminder is in 2021.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited May 2020
    Sherlock said:
    The Tax Planner is picking up our remaining (7/15 and 9/15) estimate reminders correctly.  If you haven't already, I suggest you check the tax-line item assigned to the category of the missing reminders.  Note: Only two of the first two of the remaining estimate reminders should appear as the last estimate reminder is in 2021.
    The categories & tax line items are all correct.

Tax Planner is correctly picking up my future federal estimated payments, but not state payments.
    The 1/15/21 payment is the final payment applied to tax year 2020.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    The categories & tax line items are all correct.

Tax Planner is correctly picking up my future federal estimated payments, but not state payments.
    The 1/15/21 payment is the final payment applied to tax year 2020.

I suggest you left-click in the reminder Details region in the Edit Bill Reminder window,   select the split icon, select Edit > Tax line item assignments in Split Transaction window to verify the reminder has the appropriate assignment.

The 1/15/21 payment is indeed the final state estimate tax payment for the tax year 2020 but, as it is paid in 2021, it is not included in the federal 2020 tax plan.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    NOT A BUG-  You should delete this post. It took years to get state estimated taxes reported correctly in tax planner.  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Sherlock said:
    I suggest you left-click in the reminder Details region in the Edit Bill Reminder window,   select the split icon, select Edit > Tax line item assignments in Split Transaction window to verify the reminder has the appropriate assignment.
    Now things are getting interesting. Only the first of my reminders even has the option to edit tax line assignments in the split. That looks fine:
    But the other reminders don't even offer the option to edit the TLI. I don't know why, other than to call this a bug:
    Looks like I've gotten myself into one of those "delete your corrupted reminders and re-create them" situations. I'll work on that tomorrow. These are all recently created, though, and it was a pain creating them thanks to the 2020 one-time date changes for the estimates.
    The 1/15/21 payment is indeed the final state estimate tax payment for the tax year 2020 but, as it is paid in 2021, it is not included in the federal 2020 tax plan.
    The key word being "federal". I'd forgotten that Q doesn't handle state taxes per se, but only as they affect federal taxes.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    NOT A BUG-  You should delete this post. It took years to get state estimated taxes reported correctly in tax planner.  
    Please explain. I'd be happy to flag this for deletion, but I see a bug in the estimated state tax reminders not showing in the planner.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Sherlock said:
    Now things are getting interesting. Only the first of my reminders even has the option to edit tax line assignments in the split. That looks fine:
    But the other reminders don't even offer the option to edit the TLI. I don't know why, other than to call this a bug:
    Looks like I've gotten myself into one of those "delete your corrupted reminders and re-create them" situations. I'll work on that tomorrow. These are all recently created, though, and it was a pain creating them thanks to the 2020 one-time date changes for the estimates.
    The key word being "federal". I'd forgotten that Q doesn't handle state taxes per se, but only as they affect federal taxes.
    The approach I used when I successfully created the new one-time reminders was straight forward: I entered the 4/15 and 6/15 transactions using the original reminder, used these transactions to create the one-time reminders with the 7/15 due next on date (right click and select Add reminder), and deleted the transactions. 

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    State tax estimated payments made in 2021 for 2020 should not and do not appear in the Tax Planner.  That is no Bug.  It's not a state tax planner, it's a federal tax planner.

Adding-  I have seen other reports of reminders not appearing in tax planner.  With all of the new features being implemented around bill payment, there could be some process associated with modifications to Quicken's internal table structure that is corrupting the Reminders table.

Quicken should update the sub-routine in Validate/super-validate to make sure the current Reminder table structure(s) is error free and readable.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20091814
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited May 2020
    Deleting and re-entering the scheduled estimated tax transactions worked; they once again appear in the Tax Planner as they should.
    Oddly, only the state transactions to Franchise Tax Board have the "Tax line item assignments" menu item in the split window. The federal United States Treasury transactions do not.
    I guess I'll have to chalk this up to Reminder Weirdness. I'll remove "BUG:" from the thread title so it doesn't attract more attention.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Deleting and re-entering the scheduled estimated tax transactions worked; they once again appear in the Tax Planner as they should.
    Oddly, only the state transactions to Franchise Tax Board have the "Tax line item assignments" menu item in the split window. The federal United States Treasury transactions do not.
    I guess I'll have to chalk this up to Reminder Weirdness. I'll remove "BUG:" from the thread title so it doesn't attract more attention.
    The federal tax estimate payment reminders should have the appropriate tax line item assignment.  The federal tax payment reminder should not.  The reminders should have the ability to set the tax line item assignment assignment.

The only weirdness with reminders I have experienced occurred when we would use Edit this instance as opposed to Edit this instance all future instances.  As with most Quicken issues, we learn to avoid the areas which have misbehaved.  
This discussion has been closed.